Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

Oil Cooler for a 16v? Is it worth it?

Hello all,

Just a quick question. Im gonna be taking my corrado to the nurgburgring later this year. Just wondering if it would be a good idea for me to install a oil cooler for the track work?

Thanks

Certainly no harm but I didn't find my 16v got too hot round the Ring over the course of 2 laps. How much time are you expecting to spend on the track? If it's literally a few laps then save your money! If you're planning to go and thrash it round solidly for a day or two, then might be worth thinking about it!

Certainly no harm but I didn't find my 16v got too hot round the Ring over the course of 2 laps. How much time are you expecting to spend on the track? If it's literally a few laps then save your money! If you're planning to go and thrash it round solidly for a day or two, then might be worth thinking about it!

think this time round its gonna be about 2 days worth. 4-8 laps. Just wanna make sure im prepared because its a long way to be towed back to the UK.

Indeed. How do the oil and coolant temps look normally?

well about 103 worse case. But havent put it on a track before, so no tsure if the temp will go over 120?

as long as you get plenty of airflow the 16v seems to cool quite well on the standard radiator and heat exchanger, on a short low speed circuit I can imagine it getting a lot hotter, but the ring has plenty of long fast stretches, I'd look at changing the water pump and radiator first if they're getting on a bit.

as long as you get plenty of airflow the 16v seems to cool quite well on the standard radiator and heat exchanger, on a short low speed circuit I can imagine it getting a lot hotter, but the ring has plenty of long fast stretches, I'd look at changing the water pump and radiator first if they're getting on a bit.

Thats goods. I have got a new radiator that has done about 3k now, so that will help. Would you reccomend silicone hoses? Also gonna look into getting front upper and lower strut braces and a rear strut brace (thinking it will be a a good place to hold the harnesses)

I love the way I can always rely on Jim and David to help with my 16v questions :D

Silicone hoses really won't make much difference - as long as your existing hoses are in good shape! I'd have a good poke around them all and check thoroughly for any signs of leaks or splits emerging way before you set off!

I think handling is a good area to concentrate on in terms of setting the car up before you go, as if you come off and hit a barrier, not only are you going to need a tow home but you're also going to have to pay the Nurburgring for the damage to the barrier and that can run to quite substantial amounts of money!

Is your suspension in reasonable shape, have you had all the tracking / camber, etc setup and are your tyres all in good shape?

If you do buy an Mocal oil cooler, I have some braided hoses for it, I was told they were for a VR when I bought them but when I took it to Stealth they told me they were for a valver....if you want them give me a shout and we'll work something out.

Silicone hoses really won't make much difference - as long as your existing hoses are in good shape! I'd have a good poke around them all and check thoroughly for any signs of leaks or splits emerging way before you set off!

I think handling is a good area to concentrate on in terms of setting the car up before you go, as if you come off and hit a barrier, not only are you going to need a tow home but you're also going to have to pay the Nurburgring for the damage to the barrier and that can run to quite substantial amounts of money!

Is your suspension in reasonable shape, have you had all the tracking / camber, etc setup and are your tyres all in good shape?

Tyres are in good shape but will be changed for the trip. I think I do need to look at the suspension set up. tracking is stop on. camber I havent touched.

well about 103 worse case. But havent put it on a track before, so no tsure if the temp will go over 120?

Mine never gets higher then 85-90 normally but that one lap of the ring I took you on saw it hit 122, thats with a 16row mocal, good quality oil change, open grill, Samco hoses, plastic rocker cover, breather filter and TB coolant bypass.

I know mines a VR but that takes the biscuit, take yours out for a proper session then add 20% and thats probably about as hot as it will get