Sign in to follow this  
petervr6

pump noise

i have a hissing/buzzing noise from under the car near the rear wheel on the drivers side. i know the fuel pump and filter are round about there, but i dont know if this noise is normal.

Not sure if you can hear the fuel pump above the noise of the exhaust outside the car but you can hear it on the inside. Could it be the exhaust making contact with the aluminium heat shield, causing a vibration or a blowing exhaust?

well what d ya know....

a G60 owner surrounded by VR owners :lol:

couldnt say as i dont have a VR.

Dont see why they wouldnt as it takes the strin of the main pump. in that case it might just be a buggered main pump :lol:

Noise will be the pump but try changing the fuel filter first (as VW don't have a set interval for this and I don't think it had ever been done - 82k)

I changed mine after advice from G60Jet and it went alot quieter again!

Noise will be the pump but try changing the fuel filter first (as VW don't have a set interval for this and I don't think it had ever been done - 82k)

I changed mine after advice from G60Jet and it went alot quieter again!

really amazes me how some people don't bother changing their fuel filters.......even if you dont have the inclination to DiY it........i had mine done during my annual service in Dec 02 and inc the filter was only charged £20 from VW

A healthy VR pump shouldn't be audible inside the car, or outside it, unless you stick your ear right next to the tank!

There is only pump in the VR as Roddy said, but inside that one big unit lives the lift pump, main pump and pressure accumulator. So you get all 3 for £90 :lol:

K

It amazes me how VW don't change them!! the word 'filter' to me means something that needs replacing reguarly, its easy to access and cost about a fiver!

im guessing they dont change them cost the pipes can corrode and break up when changing them costing the customer more money

i just had a thought. my C was originally a 2 litre 16v but the last owner transplanted a vr6 engine in. i dont know if this means that the fuel pump setup is the same as in a normal vr6, what do you think? i think i will change the fuel filter first and go from there.

When I worked for VW we used to change the fuel filters every 2 years (regardless of mileage). Each VW dealer has their own ideas but every 2 years seems quite reasonable.