g0ldf1ng3r

g0ldf1ng3r's VR6

as the VR is with the mechanic I used the valver to get to work today

I was a touch hesitant as ive not driven her for over a week & a half but started 1st time & was a nice journey - despite the back being full of junk ready to go to the tip lol

I am very confident now, as it has been in use for some time, that the solar powered trickle charger I brought for it is doing a nice job of keeping the battery healthy even when there are weeks between starts sometimes :)

i really must strip the dash again in the summer though & re-felt my flaps (oooo-errrr) - was a tad cool in the cabin today but i had a big coat & hat on lol

Everyday is a weekend here.... Busy day today might go for a swim after coffee.

Good luck with mot.

ha ha souns lovely m8

enjoy your swim - im going to sit at my desk a do a bit of work, maybe, sometime later lol

ha ha souns lovely m8

enjoy your swim - im going to sit at my desk a do a bit of work, maybe, sometime later lol

Don't work too hard... Suns out = play time...

I am very confident now, as it has been in use for some time, that the solar powered trickle charger I brought for it is doing a nice job of keeping the battery healthy even when there are weeks between starts sometimes :)

Been looking at that for my VR. Are you connecting the solar charger direct to the battery or via the cigarette lighter? And how's the sunshine doing where you are - my past experience with solar is that it works fine if it gets plenty of direct rays, less so if it's overcast, though I guess that depends a bit on individual solar panels and how efficient they are and what their output is.

Which charger did you get btw?

Been looking at that for my VR. Are you connecting the solar charger direct to the battery or via the cigarette lighter? And how's the sunshine doing where you are - my past experience with solar is that it works fine if it gets plenty of direct rays, less so if it's overcast, though I guess that depends a bit on individual solar panels and how efficient they are and what their output is.

Which charger did you get btw?

the model i got is able to do both i believe. it has a detachable accessory plug so as to swap between cigarette lighter connection (female end i believe & thus wont plug into the one in the car) & then crocodile clips

i sit the panel on the rear screen & then the cable just about reaches over the roof to the battery, connecting directly to the positive & negative terminals accordingly

the box says that the panel will work when it is overcast but not when raining. sunshine varies where i live, i am in midlands area, but we have had some fairly clear sunny days recently.

i got this one from maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered-12v-24w-battery-trickle-charger-n59fu?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CIrd1ZmnpMsCFUsCwwod1HMPEg

i went for the 2.4W version as it was on discount & cheaper than the 1.5W version lol bargain for £15 ;)

as i mentioned in previous post, on this occasion, i hadn't used the valver for about 12 days

Cheers matey, seems like good value. I wonder if being sat inside the windscreen reduces the output. Hmmm... best do some digging I reckon.

Cheers matey, seems like good value. I wonder if being sat inside the windscreen reduces the output. Hmmm... best do some digging I reckon.

bargain for 15 notes

unsure about if put inside the car, mine rests on the outside of the rear window & they are designed for outdoor use

nice result today - managed to get the VR insurance renewal slightly lower than last years premium, shocker :D

Nice one . Mine is up soon . I'm dreading ringing round again , listning to the figure they pluck out of the air .

If you only do limited mileage, I highly reccomend trying out Lynbrook Insurance - my policy is a limited mileage (3,000 per annum) classic policy, mods declared (not that there's many), and no NCB needed or earned (so totally seperate from your normal insurance policy) and I'm paying something ridiculous like £160 for the year. And that includes cover for all kinds of other stuff like non-competetive road rallys, etc etc.

Hands down smashes any of the companies who advertise on here such as Chris Knott - they wouldn't even insure me because I park the car in a seperate garage block, not near my house. Never mind the fact that it's double gated, etc etc! As if lock-up garages are such an alien concept in this country?!

Nice one . Mine is up soon . I'm dreading ringing round again , listning to the figure they pluck out of the air .

i avoid the ringing round trauma by emailing them a word document with all of the info & get them to contact me with the quote

i can email it out to you if you like?

FYI i always send it to prestige, HIC, chris knott, graham sykes

If you only do limited mileage, I highly reccomend trying out Lynbrook Insurance - my policy is a limited mileage (3,000 per annum) classic policy, mods declared (not that there's many), and no NCB needed or earned (so totally seperate from your normal insurance policy) and I'm paying something ridiculous like £160 for the year. And that includes cover for all kinds of other stuff like non-competetive road rallys, etc etc.

Hands down smashes any of the companies who advertise on here such as Chris Knott - they wouldn't even insure me because I park the car in a seperate garage block, not near my house. Never mind the fact that it's double gated, etc etc! As if lock-up garages are such an alien concept in this country?!

thanks Jim i appreciate the input & feedback.

TBH i have been with ardian flux for pretty much all of my driving life, over 20 years now. i always get other companies to quote & then give flux a call last & they always beat the others so i renew with the same policy & cover each year.

the VR is my main daily, at present, & as such on 10K miles classic policy, all mods declared (i have quite a few but not huge amount), has key cover, the blah de blah legal stuff & a fairly low excess of £300

however, the valver is insured with HIC on a 3K miles classic policy. again with mods declared, though that was more for the sake of the ultra rare Kamei kit on it than performance gains as it has zero of those lol. IIRC that was about £160 last year but i only had 1 years NCB for that policy. hopefully it might go down a bit next month as i have accrued another year now

once the VR has had its paint sorted i think i will need to switch tack & swap the 2 over such that the VR will be on the low mile policy but also then on agreed value

I will definitely add Lynbook to the list who i contact though & see how they do on the valver :)

tidy!!!

mechanic just called - VR has sailed thought its MOT with no advisories - good girl!! :D

pity I couldn't get it back yesterday though as I would have liked to help CCGB out on the stand at NEC this weekend but hey ho got a fresh ticket for another 12 months

Congratulations mate. Nice way to end the week.... you deserve a beer

thanks dave - a cider will most certainly be enjoyed this evening

Good result on the mot .

Jim I will give that company a ring when my ins is due . Will be interesting to see what they quote me .

Nice one on the mot. Hows the seats coming lol?

thanks m8

seats....they will be being tackled once the warmer weather arrives, too bloody cold to be wrestling with then on a driveway

thanks m8

seats....they will be being tackled once the warmer weather arrives, too bloody cold to be wrestling with then on a driveway

I do like it when the weather gets better you can get so much done over that 5 or 6 days lol.

I do like it when the weather gets better you can get so much done over that 5 or 6 days lol.

ha ha ha good point m8

maybe i should rephrase to 'when there is less ice & rain' ;)

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

ha ha ha good point m8

maybe i should rephrase to 'when there is less ice & rain' ;)

Ah the 15 day window.

Ah the 15 day window.

indeed

i must remember this year to not waste 4 of those days trimming my hedges like last year