g0ldf1ng3r

g0ldf1ng3r's VR6

Hows about doing one a little South of Birmingham - I would be up for that then!

Ok - willing to negotiate here - Tewsksbury? Not sure whats there but looks like a good place on the map haha!

Ok - willing to negotiate here - Tewsksbury? Not sure whats there but looks like a good place on the map haha!

Lots of tea & crumpets me thinks ;)

You're in Swindonia? That place makes me dizzy!

I'm up for any meet in the Midlands!!!

Maybe if we start with the next one on the calendar that is already organised if it's within 2 weeks. If it isn't then, we should organise one. Although inters is next week and I'm hoping to be there for both days in the morning on the sprint run!!!

Especially after the cams n remap!

Shall we meet up this weekend then guys? If we pick a central location between all available guys?

Or just come to my place.

10 mins away from M5 J1/2 West Bromwich...

Plenty of space on my drive for stunning Corrados!!!

the house refurb is taking most of my time lately & though i had planned to do some jobs on the rado's during my week off i hadn't anticipated it taking me 4 days to cut my hedges

i did get my G11 & G12 & scuffmaster dye from the Glyptone outlet the other week & have made a start on refurb'ing the VR steering wheel from VAG-hag. i couldn't believe the amount of dirt that the cleaner got out of it as it looked very decent indeed prior to starting on it

i will put some pics up if i manage to progress it any this week

on the note of steering wheels......winner winner chicken dinner ive just managed to get a brand new early style steering wheel from someone on the Corrado Chat facebook page for a steal.

just hope it arrives now as i must say im a tad anxious about sending some random from FB a paypal payment but hey ho it will be great as long as it does

few updates in past couple of days...

i have had confirmation from the person on FB that he has sent my steering wheel for the valver. i must say im quite excited about this as it is another thing off the list to get it back to how it was when i sold it

fingers crossed it looks as good in the flesh as it did in the pics but the person said it has never been used so :D

the valver has been performing well since i got it back on the road. engine sounds & runs sweet despite me not yet changing oil & plugs etc. alternator is still a little noisey but it is charging the battery ok so its down on the list.

valver really doesn't like the tires on the front tho, steering feels very heavy when only moving slowly. i know they are the wrong size for the vehicle but funds are tight & they have loads of tread on them. they are currently 205*50*16 on the BBS RX2's, pretty sure i need to put some 195*45*16 on them.

i took some pics of the VR leather steering wheel refurb last night & will put in separate posts below...

ok then. unfortunately i didn't think to take any pics before i started the refurb but the wheel didn't seem in too bad condition, mainly just lots of faded speckling of colour, a couple of very small cracks & hard scaly leather on the top section.

i was fairly shocked at how dirt came off the wheel using the Glyptone G12 cleaner! i used an old soft toothbrush to apply tiny amounts of cleaner & then dipped the brush in clean water & agitated the cleaner. the G12 really does go a very long way & i was impressed at how well it foamed up & cleaned the areas. i had to change the clean water bowel 3 times during this process

after letting it dry overnight i then used a clean jay cloth to gently apply small amounts of the G11 conditioner. Again i was surprised at how far the conditioner would go. it seemed to spread much better and easier than for example the auto glym leather conditioner i have used on my seats previously

i let this soak in for several days & only need to apply additional conditioner to the top section of the wheel as the rest felt extremely soft after the first application. it only took a couple of extra tiny amounts of conditioner to get the top section back to very supple.

at this point i remembered i wanted pics etc & also needed a way of securing the steering wheel so as to apply the scuffmaster dye....not much long later i had whipped up a small stand which works a treat

pics below are after the clean & condition but prior to dye

once i was happy with the feel of the leather after conditioning i then followed the 'how to' on glyptone site but also took note of advice forum users have posted regarding leather refurb

this was such that i used a very tiny amount of G12 cleaner to remove any excess conditioner & then wiped with a clean damp cloth. next a wipe over with some alcohol gel stuff, paying attention to the stitching & any creases as the 'how to' said. then let it dry for a few hours

once fully secured on my impromptu stand it was scuffmaster dye time :)

'how to' said to apply first coat neat so very carefully & trying to use a little dye as possible (due to me buying it to do my seats but wanting to practice on the steering wheel first)

the gf had got me some of the make up applying sponge wedge things & this helped to get a nice even finish on the first coat. i managed to do the complete first coat using about 4 bottle lids worth of dye, so very little indeed (i simply shook the dye bottle, turned upside down & then upright, took lid off & used what was on the inside of it)

the glyptone guide says it is possible to dye the vinyl as well but i cant make up my mind whether to do this or not. i think it might look a bit uneven as there are lots of difficult nooks & crannies to get into (VW emblem for example)

i am going to let the first coat soak in for a few days before applying an additional, slightly diluted coat(as per instructions)

im rather happy with the way it is turning out so far.....

I take it your planning to keep the valver after all then? I don't put that much effort into cleaning the whole car. Top popping. Winner winner corrado dinner.

I take it your planning to keep the valver after all then? I don't put that much effort into cleaning the whole car. Top popping. Winner winner corrado dinner.

Im still very undecided m8 but i thought if i do sell the valver then i would like get it back to how it should be & how it was last time i owned it, as per the pics on the first page of my thread (except for the wheels)

i plan to try & make a start on the eyebrow spoiler this weekend hopefully

there is a possibility an original Kamei front spoiler will be making its way back onto it at some point but im staying quiet on that front until it starts to happen

plus as you mentioned in a previous post....could i actually cope with selling it again lol

i guess developments of the next 6-9 months will guide me one way or the other

the steering wheel in the above posts is for the VR though, that i do plan never to sell. the VR current one has a large tear in the leather & VAG-hag gave me a bargain on the one im refurb'ing

i will be putting on an additional coat of dye or 2 over the weekend, then a G11 conditioner again & it will be ready to fit :D

pics will follow next week

Looks brand new

thanks chuggs

im very much liking the way it is turning out & am very impressed at how little Glyptone products are required at each stage

exciting times as if i can get the steering wheel looking superb then my seats should turn out mint. however, really i only need to do the drivers upper & lower bolsters but to get an even match i will do all the front faces as per the glyptone guy recommended when i asked about colour match

i think it is a good time to thank VAG-hag once again for the steering wheel & potentially saving me a whack of money comparing to buying a new one :)

it is good to have some faith in humanity still, despite these testing times we live in...

i am pleased to report my valver FB purchase steering wheel has arrived :)

pics below & to be fitted this wkend methinks

i put another 2 coats, this time diluted as per the instructions, on the steering wheel this weekend

left to dry & soak in overnight

plan is to give it a final condition this evening, let it dry in for a day or two & then fit it to the VR

more pics will follow

having let the final coats of diluted dye dry for a couple of days it was final touches time last night

im very happy with the overall finish but the dye seemed to have made the stitching quite scratchy. the glyptone how to didn't say whether to apply a coat of conditioner after the dye stage was finished but i did so anyway & this made the stitching nice & supple again :D

so thanks to VAG-hag & a little attention to detail i now have a VR steering wheel that looks virtually brand new

winner winner chicken dinner!! :D

i am hoping to have time one evening this week, if not then the weekdn, to have a steering wheel party so as to swap my VR leather one over, put my old VR one on the gf's storm so that i can refurb the one on hers currently, then remove the non standard one on the valver & put the brand new correct VW one on.

When you planning on doing the seats would be interested to know how well it works. If you don't mind me asking how much was the kit and where did you buy it from?

When you planning on doing the seats would be interested to know how well it works. If you don't mind me asking how much was the kit and where did you buy it from?

It kind of depends on when i get the new matrix fitted in the valver as i plan to remove the VR seats to treat them

as it is starting to get chilly in the morning i could really do with sorting the valver heat out in next few weeks

i brought the kit direct from Glyptone themselves. when i was looking at their site i noticed they had moved to a couple of miles from where i live so i visited them personally.

i wanted to ask their technicians about the cool iron & tea towel trick to close up any cracks (Tim from 5th Gear told me about it a couple of years ago). the technician said he had heard of it but wouldn't bother. i might give it a go just to see if it works or not as the dye got into the very small cracks on the steering wheel but they are still visible if you look closely

their site is http://www.liquidleather.com/

i didn't buy one of their kits as i had no need for the cloths or soft brush thing (an old toothbrush worked a treat) & as such i brought 250ml each of GT11, GT12 & VW black scuffmaster dye

those 3 bottles cost me £35.75

i would guess ive maybe used maybe 10ml of each to do the steering wheel

FYI i have seen seats done with this treatment & the result was excellent

by all means let me know if you want any more info SR_Neale :D