g0ldf1ng3r

g0ldf1ng3r's VR6

You may be better off just getting new centre caps but they won't be cheap..

What size are those?

Thanks Goldie, i had considered that option. i do have the centre caps themselves but the VW logos on them at present have that white worm infection & cracked

the wheels themselves are 16"

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

If you want genuine BBS caps, just keep looking on ebay. I managed to get a set of second hand unused ones for £20 delivered, and I also bought some Chinese copy VW sticker type ones with aluminium backing for £3.99 for the winters.

thanks sean. i will inspect the centers i have & judge if i would be better getting new complete ones or just the vinyls that are on them

much appreciated

whoa those new switches have some bright LED's in them don't they! lol

Ah glad I'm not the only one! lol I posted about that when I fitted mine but no one seemed to agree. I bought some tint film to cover it, but didn't get around to it and it doesn't seem quite so bad now :thumbleft:

after several MOT's where i have no clue how it passed i have finally booked the VR in to Longlife

thursday next week & it will be parading a shiney new manifold back stainless with a hi-flow CAT :D

Woo hoo! Shiney exhausts always make me smile!

i cant wait fella. it has been a long time coming as ive been essentially waiting for the original OEM one to fall off lol

i will of course duly post photos & comments on the outcome

YEEE-HAAAAAA!!!

well, after a long day in birmingham yesterday i am pleased to say my shiny new longlife stainless exhaust from downpipe back with a sport cat & a gorgeous oval tail pipe is happily sat in place :D

my initial report is concerning how much attention & pride in work Paul took in fitting the system.

he had not previously fabricated a longlife exhaust on a VR & he seemed to enjoy the challenge & relished producing a very high standard of a final result. my VR is lowered & that presented him with a few challenges routing the pipework into optimum positioning, which he overcame nicely

he was also very complimentary about the car & said he has a friend who is a rado addict & has a G60 & a 16V IIRC lol

i have taken some pics of the during stage but have yet to take some of the end result, i hope to do so this weekend. as such i will post them next week along with a report of my feelings on noise levels, performance, mpg changes etc etc

it was also nice to hear that unlike most places longlife do not require you to take your car back for an exhaust inspection each year so as to keep the warranty intact & that i can just give him a call if any issues arise.

as well as this Paul said that if i find the noise level to be higher than i desired, we had discussed prior to install that due to the mod's & BMC on my VR i didnt want the exhaust to overpower or drown out the superb engine noise i get, i can just give him a call & he will order in a short silencer to put in there

so, in short, initial reports are all glowing :)

(please note i have also posted this in the relevant thread on the exhaust section in suppliers as i had told Paul & Nigel that i would share my thoughts & experiences with this forum as exhaust options for our rado's are extremely limited)

That's good news, look forward to the pics.

There was discussion about Longlife on the MK2 Golf OC forum - equally good feedback and their lifetime warranty goes with the car, so if you ever sell it the next owner benefits too. Can't argue with service like that ;)

low rev exhaust noise is getting quieter, not that is was overly loud but i like the sound the BMC gives the engine from upfront

ive not heard a single knock so far & it seems very solidly mounted & fabricated. my VR is lowered on KWV1's with their standard spring rate so it can be bumpy on our god awful pot holes joined by thin strips of tarmac, or roads some people call them ;)

i am very much liking the way that as you build up the rev range it moves from a nice exhaust burble from the rear & then as rev's pass 3000 ish the noise switches to the front & lets the BMC sing

also, cruising at 70 on highways & all is quiet as a mouse

hopefully i can get some pics up soon & take a video or 2 :D

finally ive managed to get a couple of videos, well the gf did the recording from passenger seat

unfortunately they are only from an iphone so am unsure of sound quality

I will try & upload them to PC today & then post

please forgive the cabin squeaks, I really need to remove & refit all the rear trim after fitting the KW's a long time ago

OK then video time :D

again please forgive poor audio & my cabin's rattles

In the first video I tried to let it run up the rev's in each gear so as you can hear how the sound builds & drops as you go up the gears. I then tried to capture the burbles as you slow down & down change but it is difficult to hear on headphones. I also then tried to capture how it sounds when you have accelerated in 2nd gear, then let off the fast pedal & let the engine slow the revs down

unfortunately the audio doesn't capture the way the sound travels in the cabin; from exhaust at the rear until around 3.5-4K revs & then moves to the front as the BMC / engine sounds take control

https://youtu.be/ypoqtPkLXks

In the 2nd video I wanted to try to show you how when accelerating normally & at usual cruising speeds the exhaust gives a nice grunty build up in sound, but not overly loud, & then quietens right back down. FYI just before I hit the bumpy dropped section of road I am already in 5th gear travelling around 35mph ish & you can barely hear the exhaust :D

https://youtu.be/ICpGtbPmRYM

sorry there are no pics yet, it was a very busy weekend & I really need to get the autosol on the exhaust before taking any lol

I will post this update in the suppliers section too as feedback in the Longlife thread - edit - I cant find the thread that used to exist

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Cool thanks for uploading - sounds great (cabin rattles not to bad but not helped by bumpy country lanes Lol) - well my minds made up - this is indeed on my to do list - will get the B12s first though so the height can be taken account of when its built. So may have to wait to early next year.

But its got a perfect sounds an pitch to it not chavvy but shows the engine means business!

Cool thanks for uploading - sounds great (cabin rattles not to bad but not helped by bumpy country lanes Lol) - well my minds made up - this is indeed on my to do list - will get the B12s first though so the height can be taken account of when its built. So may have to wait to early next year.

But its got a perfect sounds an pitch to it not chavvy but shows the engine means business!

thanks chuggs! I was beginning to feel unloved here as they had been up for an hour & not one comment :(

perhaps I need to put 'wayne' in the thread title to get more views & comments ;) PMSL

wayne, only joking m8! :)

glad you liked them chuggs. I must say I really am very happy with it indeed & hopefully the videos showed how it can be a very pleasant, low volume sound when cruising but gives a cracking build of noise when asked to :D

definitely a wise move to get the suspension & height sorted prior to the exhaust m8 as Paul at Longlife in Birmingham said it was quite a challenge fabricating it due to my ride height

I will try & give the exhaust a polish on the coming weekend or an evening & then post pics of it all

last friday was a very much a 'booo & yay' kind of day

all started with the VR letting me down for the first time out of the blue, i was nearly at work when total loss of power :(

engine stalled as i rolled to a halt. fortunately it was in a nice section of road just after a long country lane & just before a very heavily congested stratford road, so she was nice to me i guess lol

i switched off completely then tried to start but it would only turn over & not fire, all dash lights & temps etc were ok. popped the bonnet, no leaks, nothing obvious blah de blah. tried to start again, not firing & i couldnt hear the fuel pump running

called RAC & a very nice chap turned up in about 15 minutes. upon exiting his van he greets me & as he is looking at my RAC card he says 'are you local? ive seen your motor around here many times'. we had a good chat whilst he was investigating.....she had spark & battery ok, checked fuses for fuel pump & checked the fuel pump relay, all looked ok but then he found there seemed to be an issue with power into the main fuse board :(

very very fortunately he was able to get the car onto the T bar thingies that lower out of the vans & a while later the VR was dropped off at the mechanics. i say fortunately as he told me that due to the car being lowered if it didnt get on the T bar thing he would have to call a sliding base flat bed which would be chargeable!!

ive not heard off my mechanic yet but im hoping it may just be a connection issue

thus a very booo start to a friday BUT

later that day i was sent a picture, again out of the blue, as my friend had finally resprayed my spare set of speedlines after i had hand prep'd them!!

they are now sat in my nearly completed workshop & need new boots....pics attached

just need the VR back now & then get them on :cool:

Shame on the boo moment - hopefully it's a simple fix.

Great yay moment! The Speedlines look excellent :cool:

thanks Andy - fortunately it wasnt anything nasty like a fried loom or fuse board (which is what i was dreading), it was a fuel pump deciding to let go completely. it no has a nice shiny new bosch pump :D

appreciate your comments on the wheels too, im pleased with how they came out & all those sore fingers from hours of rubbing them down paid off

just need to get the tires swapped onto them now

what a lovely start to a friday

a nice little cruise down country lanes in the morning sun back in the VR :D

Happy days! :cool::thumbleft:

indeed

she is getting a damn good wash & deep polish this weekend for certain