Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

Is Tornado Red really that dark?

I've just got myself a couple of rattle cans from VW - they kindly verified my car is Tornado Red first - and I'm a bit shocked by the colour of the lids.

OK - I know it's not going to be colour perfect, due to printing/ink variations but it looks much more like a Burgandy. Is this really how much my car has faded over the years? In fact, I'd have said my car hadn't faded and was in reasonable condition until I saw the cans.

Paint code on the tins is L0Y3D (Tornado Red is also mentioned)- does this mean it's a newer version than the LY3D listed against my car or have they just changed the codes to allow for more colours in the range?

Compared to Mars Red and Flash red, Tornado is very dark.

Find a thin piece of plastic (filler spreaders are good for this) and prime and top coat it. When dry hold it against the car to see if it's a good match. Saves you finding an inconspicuos area for experimenting on.

Excuse the random method of capturing this image (not got my phone on me) and because of the office lighting it's not exact - but perhaps you'll see why I'm surprised.

That's my car for comparison ----->

LOL, that looks more brown than red!

That's why I suggested making up a sample card with the correct colour primer because it affects the colour of the top coat. The lid colour doesn't always match the contents exactly. If it's wrong, take it back to VW and get the right paint.

having had a tornado red corrado when it was only a couple of years old, yeah, it's quite a DARK red when new...

As cheezwire says, spray some clear plastic with primer and the paint to see if it IS the right colour first though... the lids tend to lie... ;)

Thanks for all the tips, I was expecting it to come out a different colour after all these years obviously - this is just a DIY job after clearing up some rust so I don't really mind if it's that obvious as I plan to get it done properly at some point.

i would take it back persoonally then go to a pro mixing place take in the fuel cap and there match it. this is what i done and the match was amazing :)