Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

Steering rack grease

Just been up late sorting out some MOT issues, one of which is a split rack boot. It's looking pretty dry in there, so it could do with some grease. Bentley and various folk on here suggest VW steering rack grease, but is this really necessary? I'm going to swing by the stealers tomorrow and try to get some anyway, but I think it's highly unlikely they'll stock any (they never stock anything :(). Failing that, can I get away with regular LM grease? What does the rack grease actually look like?

thats new to me! its supposed to be dry and dirt free with the boot intact.

There will be no harm in adding some oil or fine grease but as soon as you go for full lock it will be pushed to the end of the rack with the dust and oil seal?! :scratch:

I have phoned the entire city this morning, and the general consensus seems to be that steering rack grease is basically the same as CVJ grease, which you can get from halfords. Any opinions?

Fair enough. Everyone I've spoken to today has a different opinion, which leads me to believe it doesn't really matter that much. So I'm not going to stress over it.

they do have grease, if you look on boostmonkeys build thread I'm sure he got a tube of rack grease with the rack seals he bought for a refurb and my original rack had grease on it when I changed the track rods and boots

they will have some form of lubrication beteeen the dust and oil seal but not on the shaft exsposed covered by the rack boot....its pointless.

the grease supplied is to lubricate the seal once fitted.

yeah they do have grease, you are meant to put some in before fitting the new gaiter/cover

i had to do mine, and i also bought the grease from VW for that job