Sign in to follow this  
Zeal

steering rack (kr)

i think my steering rack is on the way out! driving to work today i noticed a knocking in the steering (i think left and right) it's like a small knock then it feels loose for an inch or so while turning. can anyone pleas tell me if these are the symptoms of a f##### steering rack?

thanks in advance

also noticed when i turned into a petrol station, i went over the lowered kurb and the wheels seemed to flick right angle to the kurb.

worth checking the track rods, inner and outer joints as well as the wishbone bushes and bottom (hub) ball joints

if you put the car on full lock and rock the steering wheel a few cm, then if someone else holds the track rod a quite pronounced clunk will be felt/heard if the inner track rod joint it worn.

a damaged rack will usually involve one or more of the valves/seals going inside it and power assistance will vary from side to side, feeling perhaps heavy one way and not the other, very unlikely that the rack and pinion itself is the damaged part.

thanks for that, very helpfull, i have had the rack changed a few thousand miles ago so i'm glad its not likely to be that (good second hand one) wishbones and bushes are basicly new, cant remember what it was but i also had a ball joint changed, think it was the central one that connects to the arms? not very machanical minded myself so i dunno, think i can manage to check the inner track rod arm.

more costs, i've done at least three thousand miles without a problem, best run in five years for me.

:shock: i had the same probs mate. when i full locked left my car made a weird noise. hard to explain the noise but i replaced almost everything (track rods and ends, lower ball joints, wishbones,s and all new bushes and new subframe) only thing i never replaced was the steering rack and everything is sweet now. :clap:

so doubt its the rack probs just track rods or sumhin like that. i wish i replaced one bit at a time so i knew exactly what the problem was :bonk:

:shock: i had the same probs mate. when i full locked left my car made a weird noise. hard to explain the noise but i replaced almost everything (track rods and ends, lower ball joints, wishbones,s and all new bushes and new subframe) only thing i never replaced was the steering rack and everything is sweet now. :clap:

so doubt its the rack probs just track rods or sumhin like that. i wish i replaced one bit at a time so i knew exactly what the problem was :bonk:

:) thats how i do it, just replace everything

for sure, its allways best doing the whole lot at once. i though id fit braided hoses and hopefully purchase some coilovers in the next few days. its great owning a corrado but so unhealthy for the bank account. only meant to fix the noise from the left hand side and now ended up with a brake and susspension upgrade :shock: :shock:

Have you got an adjustable steering column, these can wear at the top universal joints(and bottom) and can exaggerate bumps etc on the road if worn.

Have you got an adjustable steering column, these can wear at the top universal joints(and bottom) and can exaggerate bumps etc on the road if worn.

yep its adjustable, thanks i'l have to check that too.