Sign in to follow this  
AlexDG

Knock Sensor Part - brown or white?

All,

VCDS output is saying:

Fault Found:

00540 - Knock Sensor 2 (G66)

31-00 - Open or short to ground

I can't see anything obviously wrong with the wiring so I think means that my front knock sensor is fubar (reset and error comes back straight away).

I am happy to trust what VCDS is telling me and replace the knock sensor but the local VW parts department don't know which sensor is which on their parts system, the options I have are brown or white? I tried to see what colour the ones fitted are but I can't tell!

Did a search but couldn't find the answer.

Car is a 1993 VR6 (if that makes a difference).

Or if someone knows the part number so much the better...

Thanks in advance (had hoped to be here a little longer before needing help but hey ho!), Alex

That was a helpful steer cos looking at that site I pulled up a Corrado specific page http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/knock_sensor/volkswagen/corrado.html which whilst it does not say which is front and back shows a couple of neat pictures of the ones that fit a 93 VR6.

I now know what I am looking for in terms of the plug colours...and also lists the cables as different lengths so all I have to do now is find them on the car and hope that the correct ones are fitted!

OK just to close the loop on this one...

The rear knock sensor very definitely has a white plug, so through a process of elimination the front must be brown.