Sign in to follow this  
blackboy VR6

vr6 not starting when cold help pls

just got the VR back on the road after 6 months of it sitting in garage, the car has ran perfect for nearly 2 weeks doing about 35m a day , Now when i come to start it in the morning or when its been left a few hrs it just wont fire up, for 3 or 4 long cranks then it decides to start and drives perfect no loss of power, So ive changed the relays 109 and 167 and it started straigt away yesterday and first time this morning, But tonight after work done the same again wouldnt start until the 4th attempt, Once its started it will restart straight away no probs until its left a couple of hrs

thanks

phil

could be fuel?

i cant remember which the fuel pump relay is. but thinking along the lines that it does take a second for the fuel to be pressured, then you say its fine straight after as its stil got pressure, runs fine, but if left the pressure will drop.

I have nearly a identical problem as you, mine seems to start abit faster then yours but i still have to crank it for a long time

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79526

Fuel pressure regulator is at the of the injector rail nearest the battery, its looks like a little canister almost, with a air pipe linking it to the inlet manifold, its a £70+ bit from VW so pretty pricey part to replace and find out it dosent fix the problem like i did lol

i'll be watching this thread closely to see if you fix this problem before me, next on my list is fuel filter... it seems like a starvation problem

is there a strong smell of petrol or any smoke after it fires up?

big "thanks" to james as he predicted it was the the crank sensor, but luckily for me it was just corroded terminals in the connecting block,after he gave them a quick clean up it fires and runs spot on, cheers again m8 for coming through to sort it out

Glad you fixed it, guess what i'm trying next lol

would a dodgy crank sensor come up on vag com? i've ran it on my car and get no error codes

Glad you fixed it, guess what i'm trying next lol

would a dodgy crank sensor come up on vag com? i've ran it on my car and get no error codes

it wont come up unless its an open or short to ground,it will come up when the engine is not running..its a ghost code. but once running it wont be there.

Good indication that the crank sensor is dead....injectors dont work as with the fuel pump when cranking.