Sign in to follow this  
DavesRedVR6

VR6 Starter problems

Having problems with my 1995 VR6, starter motor has sounded a bit crap for a few months now, taking a secound or 2 to disingage after starting. However in the last week the car has not started on 2 occasions once i managed to bump start it secound time wife was driving, car would'nt start even when trying to bump, called the rac but before they turned up she got the car going just started with turn of the key.

When you turn on the ignition you can here the fuel pump kick in and when you turn the key you just get a faint click and the strater motor does not turn over. I've read the topics on the sticky starter motors and knackerd starter motor bush. But im not sure if my sticky starter motor is the problem or if it's a relay, soliniod or ignition switch problem. What can i do to try and diagnose the fault without just replacing parts (very costly option). Any help much appriciated. :confused4: :shrug:

There are three main wires to the starter

One is earth you can trace this from the battery earth cable to the chassis then to one of the gearbox bolts.

Next is battery live,yet again trace this down from the battery positive pole directly to the starter solenoid.

Third is the solenoid trigger wire,this wire goes battery live once the key is turned to the starter position,you can check if the starter solenoid has live by adding a test lamp to this wire or using a multimeter.

If all theses wires are working then the starter should work,if not then the starter is goosed....also taking into account the battery is in good condition and holding a good 12-13 volts not running.

Ok will get the multi meter out tomorrow. Seems strange how it's starts fine sometimes but not others. Falling out of love with the raddo, one problem after another. :(

Ok will get the multi meter out tomorrow. Seems strange how it's starts fine sometimes but not others. Falling out of love with the raddo, one problem after another. :(

They are old cars now and most have high miles so problems are to be expected......but thats the fun bit aint it? :wink: