Sign in to follow this  
TheWizardofOdds

Need an economic motor...suggestions?

I will shortly be starting a new career, which is sexy, but much less sexy is the monstrous daily commute I'll be undertaking(50+ miles). I'm fighting to keep the Corrado and the keys will be prised only from my cold, lifeless hands. So at less than 40 MPG the C is clearly not going to be the daily hack. Thing is, I promised the missus a new set of wheels (long story). So we're going to be a three car family, I need a cheap, reliable, economic wonder.

I've looked at; Peugeot 107, Toyota Aygo, Daihatsu Charade, Citroen C1, Smart ForTwo...

Of these, the Charade is the cheapest second hand at about £1700+, I really can't afford even three grand for the others. Are there any other models/makes that can give me mega MPG? I'm not bothered about whether it's ten years old or whatever, I just need a reliable commuter. I've tried to get MPG figures for cars that I've looked at but it's hard to decipher what's genuine and what's fanciful. Any suggestions welcome.

I bought a seat arosa 1.0 for 600 pounds, it has cost me a total of 140 pounds to run it for 40k, that includes two MOT's two tyres and an oil change. Insurance this year fully comp was 118 pounds. I get lots of MPG from it and it's been totally reliable, definately wouldn't go for a deisel, as most people are finding out, they are no cheaper to run but much slower.....

I too would say get an arosa. Look about, they pop up now and again on ebay really chaep (about 1k+ autotrader). I got my mrs 1 for £550 with 73k on the clock, a full mot 6 mths tax and all the service stamps appart from 1 and that was the 1.4 with electric windows :lol: . Really economical and vw reliablity. It has only cost me 2 tyres which at £24 each didn't hurt much. Just don't get an orange one if you get one. Impossible not to look a bit soft while driving it trust me.

why not a tdi golf or audi? you need a bit of power for good economy on the motorway according to jeramy clarkson.

Yip the Golf, Polo and Audis were my first port of call but they are just too expensive. As it's going to be a third car it needs to be cheap for tax, ins, petrol and so on. I'm trying to justify keeping the Corrado so going this cheap is my only option really.

My Dad once had a Honda Civic 1.6 with the continuously variable tranmission which regularly returned 55-58mpg on regular petrol. Might be worth looking into, although I suspect Honda residuals are still strong-ish. The Honda may also have an advantage in that they have a well deserved and excellent reputation for build quality & reliability.

As another suggestion you might want to consider a Ford Ka. They're not fashionable I know, but you can buy a new one for under £8k with a full warranty & servicing included, they make >50mpg all day if you buy the 1.25, are well equipped, can fit a surprising number of people & stuff in them, and the one my friend Paul has has proved utterly bulletproof. The Ka also has a bonus in that the Ford Ka owners club appears to be populated completely by pretty young women (again dfrom what I've been told) but I would understand it if your wife ruled it out on those grounds.

If you need more space I'd look at secondhand Audi A4 TDi. They're a lot less money than a Passat (or even a Golf) for some reason, and the estate might be worth thinking about if you need to put a big pram in it.

Exploit the depreciation someone else has swallowed, and get a diesel rep-mobile. Small economical cars carry "just passed my test and need a car" tax. 50 miles each way, or 50 miles a day? Do the sums really stack up to get a second car, by the time you've included all running costs, and not just the immediately visible costs?

As another suggestion you might want to consider a Ford Ka. They're not fashionable I know, but you can buy a new one for under £8k with a full warranty & servicing included, they make >50mpg all day if you buy the 1.25, are well equipped, can fit a surprising number of people & stuff in them, and the one my friend Paul has has proved utterly bulletproof. The Ka also has a bonus in that the Ford Ka owners club appears to be populated completely by pretty young women (again dfrom what I've been told) but I would understand it if your wife ruled it out on those grounds.

yip

if I was in the market for a cheap runabout the Ka would be top of my list all the time,my first brand new car was a Ford Ka 2 in the first few months of them being introduced back in early 97,my wife and I bought it purely as a way of keeping our motoring costs down(no MOT's to worry about and 35mpg round town economy),we were used to having older cars with early 20 mpg figures and group 14+ insurance costs,so the Ka was a breath of fresh air with its Group 2 insurance and it was such an enjoyable chassis to have fun with that even only having 69bhp was great fun,in total we have had 3 of them 2 Ka2's and a SportKa SE,my wife has only replaced her SportKa with a Freelander 2 TD4 auto due to her having a horse now and i dare say if we didn't go for the Freelander she would be driving the latest Ka or Fiat 500

seat ibiza 1.2s, the missus had one for 3 years with no problems at all, cheap tax/insurance plus i always thought the petrol gauge was broke because it never ever went down. in one trip to london from birmingham and coming back it cost £17 in petrol.

. The Honda may also have an advantage in that they have a well deserved and excellent reputation for build quality & reliability..

Reliability and build quality are definitely aspects that I need to strongly consider as much as price. No good having a cheap 80mpg noddy car that wont start in the morning.

50 miles each way, or 50 miles a day? Do the sums really stack up to get a second car, by the time you've included all running costs, and not just the immediately visible costs?

It's actually 110 miles all in. 55 each way. :eek: Even with excellent mpg figures of around 40mpg the Corrado would cost way too much to run, unfortunately. I did toy with the idea of getting LPG fitted...

yip

if I was in the market for a cheap runabout the Ka would be top of my list all the time,

The KA seems to be very popular here. What kind of mpg would you expect from motorway driving? My commute is good in that it is a constant journey not broken by traffic lights and heavy town traffic.

I will look at the Fabia and Ibiza also...

Thanks for the helpful replies.

the KA handles OK but in all other respects is a pile of poo, they rot, the old 1.3 engines are from the stone age and don't do high miles at all well and they look like a fat bird from behind.

I'm not recommending one, but a 3 cylinder corsa does a lot of mpg, another grim car to own though.

How about a high miles passat TDI, nice and comfy compared to a 1L petrol tin can.

2000/2001 Polo 1.4 TDI, i had one as my 1st car, 35 squid a year road tax, 60mpg all the time no probs, 50ish if really giving it some lol. These map to around 110 bhp aswell which aint too shabby, will leave a valver in 3rd gear at 30mph (untill the valver gets on cam, tried against my mate who now owns my old polo).

I find modern cars are more economical, but you're budget means you have to shop old. Therefore, you need to buy small and lightweight; if going diesel, then its got to be 1.5 and over (not 1.3) (no idea). We used a 1.0 petrol fiesta of old, and no matter how much you mashed your foot into the carpet it wouldnt go quicker and thus mpg remained relatively ok; however the heavey beastey deisels of today (Megan/Focus) I manage pretty good 50+mpg, more on faster roads.

50 mile round trip doesnt seem much; but if you're talking each way, then I'd get something comfortable, like a passat or something. But the cheaper you buy it, the more you can spend on fixing the old knacker.

It's a tough decision. Cheap noddy car with potential to cost me in future, or more reliable but dearer Passat, Golf etc...

It will be a few months before I have to make a decision, but it certainly has to be the right one because if I buy another car and it costs me like the Corrado has this year, I'm in the schitt.

Thanks for all the input.