Sign in to follow this  
Cal

Cone Airfilter

I have been advised buy some people not to fit a cone airfilter to my VR6 and leave the standard airbox in, with its K&N Airfilter. Some have told me its not healthy for the airflow meter on this car or am i talking to the wrong people here for advice? Any suggestions for me please?

Hi mate,

You might find THIS thread helpful, has some very useful information on cone filters vs panel filters vs standard paper filters etc.

I've got A K&N 57i kit on my VR. The sound is delightful, a real deep bark but about 750 miles after I put it on, the car started to feel like it's lost a huge wedge of power and torque below 4500 rpm, pulls ok above that but not as fit as she was. From searches I've done on the forum I expect my MAF is up the creek or at least covered in air filter oil.

Sorry this isn't a definative answer, I haven't VAG-COMed so this is my subjective opinion, but considering there have been no noticable performance gains (with no other engine mods) I wouldn't recommend the 57i to VR owners.

Hey mate

Thank you for that information, before i read your email i went and purchased a K&N cone filter for the VR6 But was advised to leave the base of the original airfilter on inorder to get airflow from the botttom of the original venting, im going to fit it just now and try The cone filter i got has an 80mm diameter and isnt a really big and bulky one its rather petite and snug looking, your opinion on this advice re leaving the original box in the bottom?

i ran a k&n for many years and must say i did start to notice it loosing power upto 4500 then was fine

i now have a bmc cda and must say still get greast noise from it but i think i need to clean or replace the MAF as the powe has not returned

i eventually fitted the K&N and had it dyno tuned i feel a difference in power the revs are crisp and sounds great if driven nicely its getting 9.1km/l im happy with that