Sign in to follow this  
Maciek

Split in Rad Hose

Guys, recently i discovered a pool of coolant fluid under my car, and my engine steaming. I then decided to take a looksy under the hood. Rather to my surprise :cry: , i noticed a big split in my rad hose. As these tend to be rather pricy, i decided to try and fix it myself. I put a rubber patch over the split, then put a piece of rubber pipe (like a plumbing pipe) over the patch, and put two metal clamps on each end. I then silliconed the whole outside of the pipe, for further protection. But to no avail, as my fluid steal managed to leak out after four days of driving. Does any one have any other suggestions, and or experience with this problem? The crack in the hose is almost at the joint where the pipe meets the rad, so it is a little tricky to seal.

THANKS!!!!

Maciek

the top hose onto the rad on all cars flexes as the engine moves, repairing a split on one is neigh on impossible... Replacement is definately the way to go with it...

Also, before you start shelling out cash to replace this hose, check that your engine mounts are all OK... A split top hose is often an indication that you've got a duff engine mount. :? Do a search for "engine mount" here and you'll find loads of threads on how to test them... 8)

Hope this helps.

It's a bit unfortunate that you live in Canada as I've got spare hoses (samco hoses fitted) but I would think you were looking at about £30 for shipping fees! So therefore you'd be better off buying a new one.

Sorry mate!