Sign in to follow this  
lauraJ

Paint has been pl

Right, my paintwork is quite bad.

It looks like it's had a little too much polishing on the lines of the car, the red paint look likes it has been polished through. So when you look at the car it looks like there is white lines on some of the bodywork.

I really don't want to spend shed loads of cash for a respray as I planning to 'upgrade' to a VR6 before the year ends. But at the moment it's looking a bit sorry for itself. :cry:

What other options are there? I think a touch up stick wouldn't work as some of the areas are quite long.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Laura

touching up a red can be a PITA as it fades so badly making matching almost impossible.

I'd try a spray can of the correct paint either from VW (if you can get it) or mixed to the VW colour, I've never had much luck with Halfords colours. Test a bit inside the boot to see how close it matches.

Then mask the surrounding area 5 or 10mm away from the edge of the faded area, then spray several thin coats.

It really needs a week or two to harden and then you can cut it back with fine wet and dry paper and T-cut and bring it to a nice shine.

If the pint is badly faded it may be worth while finding one of those places which mix aerosols to match your colour. They may be able to produce a "pre-faded" shade

I've seen MK2 Golfs where the paint is so badly oxidised that you get the white lines described above... If that's the case then a machine polish with a compound like 3M's Fast Cut Plus might do a really good job of restoring the colour but if this has already been done and gone through to the primer then respray is really the only option.

Either way I'd take it to 2-3 body shops (proper panel craft places / coachworks / restoration places not insurance approved 'accident repair centres) and get some free advice.