Sign in to follow this  
timthetinyhorse

4 stud big brakes

Make sure you're sitting down when you read the price though - it's eye-wateringly expensive!

Eh?

£745 isn't too bad although annoying for people like us who could have bought for £425 in the original GB's

I honestly don't think that's a bad price at all Jim for all brand new VAG parts + custom hoses that are sure to fit and provide a huge upgrade over the 280's

I think it just irks me that VAG put the price up on the parts so much. As you say, they were originally so much cheaper (nearly half the price) - and they only put the price up shed loads when enthusiasts started buying them to fit to other dubs.

As a big brake upgrade I guess nearly £800 is a good price?!

They didn't though... the price that they were was in the first 3 years of ownership and was low becuase warranty claims of the peeling lacquer on the calipers...

They did the same thing with the Lupo wipers - arm and blade for £15 back in the day!

Did someone buy new G60 calipers, carriers, hoses, pads and discs a while back for nearly £400? - probably more now!

They didn't though... the price that they were was in the first 3 years of ownership and was low becuase warranty claims of the peeling lacquer on the calipers...

Ah OK - I'll shut my face then! :)

yup, got mine for the £500 mark, all in with flexy pipes and everything from Badger5.... then had to spend another hundred quid+ on custom made spacers to make 'em fit under my 16" Borbet Cs... :brickwall: :lol:

I thought that was more to do with Seat going over to AP Racing calipers?

Seat and Brembo had a fall out during one of the race seasons and Brembo wouldn't supply them with any calipers. Therefore values of VAG's Brembo stock plummeted.

Stealth had a box of red Leon AP calipers (in VAG boxes with part numbers) last time I was there.

Stealth had a box of red Leon AP calipers (in VAG boxes with part numbers) last time I was there.

Nice - are they the monoblock ones that fit without any carrier Kev???

Do you know what discs they fit... I know they did some 4 stud ones a few years ago as an option but they are pretty rare...

AP make great brakes but are an awful company to deal with getting spare parts etc but these would appeal to me if they are VAG parts, deffo better reputation in racing circles than Brembo.

Yep :D

That's what we keep saying about the differences between parts made for the OE and retail markets. OE spec is always LOADS better.

These Leon calipers were a lot bigger than the Ibiza AP monoblocs you've seen. IIRC they were for 340mm discs!

If you speak to the right people in AP, they're great. The best bloke in the technical department is Kev oddly enough :lol: