Sign in to follow this  
jonybravo

Speedometer

Hi all,

Not sure if this is getting posted in the right section, just driven down to London and back yesterday and i noticed the speedometer having a mind of its own. It was jumping back and forwards for no apparent reason, for example when I accelerated to 40, the speedo would jump to 80 then down to 60, then up again, and then settle at the speed I was actually going at.

Clearly not a good thing not to know how fast you are going, I was thinking perhaps faulty speedon cable?

Any ideas people

Thanks in advance

I don't know what car you are talking about, but iirc, only the early C's with the analogue mile counters had cable driven speedo's.

The rest have electronic ones, driven off a sensor on the gearbox. Most likely this is packing up, if the speed reading is fluctuating wildly.

A cable at fault usually manifests itself as an oscillating speedo needle, with the occasional jump as the cable snags then frees itself.

What car / year is it...

Only really early cars got a non-digital speedo - Sounds like an issue with the speed sensor on the gearbox - about £15 from VW and easy to change.

Mobile phones can also cause this behavior - you've not changed where you've mounted it recently etc?

Thanks for the responses.

It's a 1994 2L 16V, mobile phone is in the place it has always been, and the mileometer is electronic.

Yeah - I'd try a new sensor ontop of the gearbox then - maybe re-seat the wiring to it before you order one in case it fixes it!