Sign in to follow this  
Sam.l

Please help! central locking/electric window malfunction!

Hey there fellow corrado peeps,

Have run into a bit of a problem and am hoping someone can shed some light on the situation before I lose the will to live! :help:

Went to wind the windows up today after driving and neither of them worked. Then realised that the central locking had stopped working aswell. Stopped the car and had a look at all the fuses and all seemed fine, then took the door card off and tested the wires to the window switches for an electrical current. There was a current which led me to think it could be a problem with the central locking as im pretty sure the electric windows are connected somehow to the central locking. Had also realised that inner door pin for the passenger door would not go up or down either. I have now run out of ideas :confused4: and need the help of onyone out there that may have an idea of whats gone wrong! is there a separate control box of some sort for the central locking other than the fuse box? Or does anyone know of where to get a wiring diagram to point out where everything goes! Am not too up on car electrics so any help would be much appreciated. Its a problem i would hope to get fixed a.s.a.p as I cannot put the windows up! :shrug:

Thanks, Sam

LOADS of info if you use the search.

Sounds like you have missed the fuse tho which is above the main bank of fuses above the relays at top of box.

Did have a look above the relays but couldn't see any other fuses. Could it still be a fuse causing the problem? i'd kick myself if it was something as simple as that. Looking at the fuse box, all i can see above the relays is a couple more small relay boxes but no more fuses ( or maybe im not looking hard enough). Are there separate fuses for the windows and central locking? it seems odd that both have stopped working. Will try and search for some more info on the forum aswell anyways.

Thanks for posting, if theres anything else anyone thinks i might have missed, please let me know! Am new to corrado electrics, this being the first problem ive had so far, touch wood!

Yep defo sounds like fuse. Same fuse for windows/central locking/reverse lights and heated seats as well i think.

Good place to check if you have any shorts are in the door jams.

Here you go hopefully you can see the fuses i am talking about. It is the right one if memory serves.

Matt

From memory, there were two more separate relay boxes above the two rows of relay boxes but couldn't see any separate fuses and think the configuration of the relays is slightly different to your attached pic. Will have another look at the fuse box tomorow i think just to make sure. Will be chuffed if it is that, easy fix. Hopefully the next time i post will be to say thanks for the help and apologies for being a numpty! :)

well, not as simple as i'd hoped. It seems to be a short somewhere along the wire for the central locking. As I've got the windows working again. I'd recently used one of dave16v's door handle repair kits for the passenger side. Is it possible a wire could've been agitated or moved to touch a part of the car to short out the centrel locking? found the fuse above the relays which had blown, replaced it and the replacement fuse blew straight away, possibly leading to a problem somewhere along that wire for the central locking. Aaah the saga continues..... :( any suggestions?

I`ve got the same problem.

I think its linked to the passenger door pin being stuck, caused by the lock mechanism jamming. I`m having a new lock mech fitted next week which i`m hoping should clear up all my window/locking problems. I`ll let you know if it sorts it out.

After having the same problem with my central locking (for 3 years :cuckoo: ) and spending probably at least 10 weekends and goodness knows how many man hours and £'s on replacement parts.

I would STRONGLY suggest getting an auto electrician in to have a look. Cost me £80 in the end for the leccy to come out to my work and find a short in the wiring behind the dash. I never would have found that. Would have been a dash out job to repair it so I got him to isolate the short and just thread a new wire through the dash.

Good luck with it all

Matt

My girlfriends dad is a mechanic and auto electrician so had him look at it lastnight. Seems like the cars got a mind of its own because after cutting the wire to try and isolate the short, testing currents etc, replacing the fuse again, and soldering the wire back up it's seemed to right itself in the fact the central locking is working again (????!!). When I pulled up the carpet to get to the wires it was pretty wet, so been trying to dry that out and check and replace the grommets at the back of the engine bay as the previous owner had removed one to fit audio cable from the battery. Not sure whether the short was due to water, the fact i repaired the door handle recently or any number of things really! Also, the spoiler has started to work automatically again! very confusing, but for some reason everything's working. Not totally confidence inspiring, as i still dont know what shorted it in the first place, just have to hope its alright now. Fingers crossed! will no doubt be asking more questions should anything go wrong again :) thanks guys.