Sign in to follow this  
PROVR6

Respray problem

Had the front end of the C resprayed recently with some dent removal. Im not happy with the finish on the bonnet as it has some bubbles in it which you can see in certain light conditions.

I spoke to the guy who did it and hes told me its because of the paint drying out differently around the filler and causing edging. To be honest in the places where its doing it, it didn't need any filler.

Hes told me its unavoidable but has offered to do it again but ive got to pay for the paint (£40ish).

Its also got some cat like scratches in the paint.

Are there any paint sprayers out there who can confirm thats what has happened and if its easily avoided.

Personally, I think he should have told me it would happen before he did it.

know nothing at all about painting, but that sounds like bollards, my C is full of filler down one side and there's no way of telling the joins with metal, BTW it had the respray over the filler in 1993.

I'd take it somwhere else personally. 8 times in 10, paint reaction is caused by poor surface preparation.

Agreed with that as some sections of mine had to be done again all because they rushed preparation, did it free though and the results are pretty impressive.

Sounds like he's just rushed it along to me. Painting and flatting after is the easy part, its the prepping that matters most :?

Had my rado done 2 days ago and noticed yesterday little white bubbles in the front bumper. Guessing its due to silicone or water thats been under the paint. Contamination is a massive problem in painting, 85% is prep and the rest is a blowover tbh. Least my painters redoing it free of charge. As for the paint dryin different around filler thats aload b*%$ox :lol: , ive had a fair skim on the C and the paint looks ever so slightly better on fresh skim than i does on 15yr old metal haha

Done a few google searches and apparently paint edging can be caused by the paint drying out differently on filler. Its called paint edging and on mine it looks like a ridge around oval shape blobs. You can only see it in certain light conditions but its bugging me. I think you guys are right about the prep, because it normally occurs if the paint is sprayed on when the filler isn't completely dry.

It cost me £500 to get the front end resprayed and some quite big dents sorted. The rest of it looks ok but the bonnet isn't good enough. I don't know whether to get him to re do it or take it else where. I have also noticed some paint chips off the cill which he must have done when he jacked the car to remove the bumper and Im worried he might cause more damage due to his obvious lack of care.

He wants me to pay for the paint (which I don't agree with) but if it only costs me another £40 to get it sort, cest la vie? Obviously he might screw it up again - quandry time :shrug:

i sprayed mine in the garage with 16gallon air tank. needles to say tank could not keep up and every once a while there is an air bubble or water run on it. you can buff those out.

as everyone has said, quality of surface prep is really the main thing. just had some work done on mine, which included the bonnet. For the bonnet the guy recommened taking it back to bare metal then going form there. there was a small dent in the bonnet which was filled and there is no sign of it anywhere once its painted.

hope you get it sorted ok.

do you have any pics of the finish? im a trainee paint sprayer, if its edging it usually means the egdes of the repaires have not been feathered out properly and if there are scratches under the paint that also means that the filler hasnt been sanded down properly which can cause the primer, basecoat, and laquer to sink into them leaving the lines, or that theres not enough primer on the repaires, some pics could help though mate.

i wouldnt pay him anymore, it should be down to him to correct his mistakes for free!

yep agree with stryker, im a yacht fairer by trade, which is basically the same thing, filler and paintwork, and sounds like poor prep work, any imperfections in filler work and sandin marks are magnified ten fold once the paints on.

Had the front end of the C resprayed recently with some dent removal. Im not happy with the finish on the bonnet as it has some bubbles in it which you can see in certain light conditions.

I spoke to the guy who did it and hes told me its because of the paint drying out differently around the filler and causing edging. To be honest in the places where its doing it, it didn't need any filler.

Hes told me its unavoidable but has offered to do it again but ive got to pay for the paint (£40ish).

Its also got some cat like scratches in the paint.

Are there any paint sprayers out there who can confirm thats what has happened and if its easily avoided.

Personally, I think he should have told me it would happen before he did it.

Drying around the filler is load of Bollocks, it all down to bad prep work. Bubbles could be two things water in the paint or overbaked it and its solvent pop :?

or fish eyes where they have'nt cleaned the panel with panel wipe first.

As for scratches in the paint, again bad prep work. Using wrong grades of flating paper :?