Sign in to follow this  
VRev6

Which car would you have? post VR6!

Hi guys,

Thinking of selling my vr6 :cry: :( cos i want the money for a deposit on a house. I wanted to know what you lot thought would be a decent car to get after for between £1-2k, still want a bit of power but summat cheaper to run for a year or two.

I was thinking of a Golf (GTI maybe?) or can these be just as expensive as C's if they go wrong or should i get a 1.4/1.6? what about Polo's, what are they like?

I really really really don't want to sell my VR but sh*t does happen and i need to buy a house alot more at the moment

:( what do ya think?

cheers

:D :D

depends what type of car you want.

i sold a mint condition 1990 Honda CRX for £2150 and they are a great run around / sporty / quick / enjoyable car.... but its a bit on the small side if you have a family...

...personally im gonna be looking at an R32 next ...but i dont suppose that helps you much.

good luck.

if you look hard enough you should be able to get a nice Mk2 16v or Mk3 Gti,should be a lot cheaper to run than a Corrado.......thats if you find a decent one

You can get a good MKII Golf for that sort of money, 1.8 8 or 16 valve. Both very good cars, with good engines. 8v for town driving, 16v more for motorway thrashes. My 8v is currently sitting in my garage waiting for good weather so I can do some work to it. I miss it in some ways, the low down torque makes it really easy to drive, and the coilovers made it handle superbly.

MKII 16V GTIs are great fun... Revvy engines, plenty of power and cheap to fix 'cos they're just golfs at the end of the day, so there's loads in scrap yards... 8) The 8Vs aren't bad, but are lower powered than the 16Vs and coming from a VR6, you'll really notice the difference! :?

I seriously looked at a few before I decided to go REALLY cheap and get an Astra when I bought my house a couple of years ago... I only kept it for a year, and then got my G60. :wink:

for £2k I would get myself a PUG 205 mi16 if i could find one in good nick. They are quite small, but great fun.

well if your seriously looking ot buy a house i would recomend cheap as possible to run car

I would go for some jap civic etc as youll need something that you can put stuff in that back ie when your working on the house etc

maybe a mkII golf or a passat or vento

Trust me power and sportness wouldnt be on my mind, cheap and cheerfull would be

With Alex on this one- go for a Civic hatchback, make sure it's a VTEC. As long as it's got FSH nothing will go wrong with it. One to go for IMHO is the 1991-95 EG shape- here's a pic of my old VTI.

Get an 8v Gti Mk11 :)

The diffence in running costs between a 1.4/1.6 and the gti will be next to none. You'll have the same things needing replaced and not should go wrong.

Just dont be in a big hurry - there are HEAPS to choose from :)

I would have kept mine as well as the C if I could have, absolutely loved it :)

You could also get a highish mileage 325 E36 for that money if you like them.

Buy one from an old Grandad or something if you can!

Scirocco, ultra cheap for good'uns. You can really knock the sellers down as they have generally been forgotten. I worked for a VAG dealer and loved them. Only buy the 1.8i GTX or Scala. Brakes are sh1te - be warned. Look for front end damage. Should be sub 1K for a real good one.

I'd look at 205gti's and Golf mk2's.

Also CRX and Swift from Japan.

I'm looking for a TVR next personally!

personally i like passats estates

absolutely cheap

has a dash very similar to a corrado

some have nippy engines

and you have enough room for a full bathroon in the back lol :lol:

for £2k I would get myself a PUG 205 mi16 if i could find one in good nick. They are quite small, but great fun.

i didnt realise they made a 205 gti mi16??

They didnt. Bit like Mk1 16v's. Loads of engine conversions.

If you are looking for a house you will need a reasonably practical car yet I assume still a little bit of fun. 205's and CRX's are too small. Mk2's are your best bet as they are cheap and easy to maintain yet still big enough to be practical. Mk3 are only good if you get a 16v or VR6 but the earlier ones had poor build quality. i picked up my 91 8v with 78k miles for only £1500. Its not the fastest but its still good fun and easy to run. Not bad when you consider some people will spend close to that for leather interior on a new car.

Get a Vento (VR6) should be able to get one for about £2k in reasonable condition. Nearly as much poke as the Corrado, and bucket loads of room!

Me? 80's Porsche 911 or TVR... but then I'm thinking of buying a house too so maybe not!...

Mk2 8v GTi's are cheap as chips and you can get 37 mpg out of them... I use one as a town run-around...

or go for some jap civic that will never break down..

my cousin just picked up a 306 GTI-6 T reg its absolute minter for £2500 reasonable mines abt 60k i think and straight bodywork not dents or chips..... i bet u could get a decent ish M reg xsi these days for £1200 something maybe bit cheaper than a Golf to run ????????????

If it was me personally i would look at a vauxhall,,,,, at least the parts are cheap and u could always get tints ;-)

i didnt realise they made a 205 gti mi16??

They didn't, however a lot of 205 gti owners have converted tham by using the 405 Mi16 parts.

A Lancia Delta HF turbo ie is fairly cheap to buy, with lots of room, and very quick (considering its a 1.6). Parts etc and too badly priced either

A Lancia Delta HF turbo ie is fairly cheap to buy, with lots of room, and very quick (considering its a 1.6). Parts etc and too badly priced either

.......a pity most of them have dissolved away to nothing after some rain :cry: :-P :-P

What about a Pug 309 GTI. Cheap as and great fun to drive. Make sure it's a good one. Expensive to fix. I'd get a mk2 fezza. Got one for my girlfriend for £50 and it's never let us down. Unlike my VR6 which hasn't fired up yet this tear. She will be fixed soon though