Sign in to follow this  
bobbymkII

new guy rado(updated on its hoop)

went and picked this rado up tonight it a 2.0 16v 9a with kr cam and magnex exhaust....113000 on clock so just run in...and bags of history to back it up...and every thing works...even sunroof...

has some laquer peel on bonnet and a small coolant leak...but i love it...drove from glasgow to perth and it was a dream...

big thanks to jaye for helping me out with lift and advice :rthumb: owe you a huge beer(again :rolleyes: )

anyway heres pics from phone of it parked up at its new home....

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

first mod is to see if coilovers will move and if so will be dropping it a bit more...

2nd mod fix coolant leak

3rd mod get painted

4th mod get 50mm inlet

5th mod drive it like it should be driven :shock: but this time with a wee bit more ease cos aint breaking this :cool:

i love older vw's like its my own child :lmao:

nice :D the 50mm manifold *should* be standard on the 9a

put suspension down as low as it will go front and back...not a single rubbing issue... :rock: ...small animals between the head lights will get a nasty susprise :lmao: anyway heres some pics...and those who question fk coilovers for rusting and going solid...stop being a light weight get into it with a hammer and 2 tins of wd40 and 4 hours later bingo...you get it on its hoop...

pics...

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00222-1.jpg

DSC00224-1.jpg

wish i could get back lower but thats as far as it will go

good to see your getting cracking with it, but toooo low in my opinion by an inch or two

Your spoiler will last two minutes!!!! Get a 50mm one on ASAP. Glad youve got one but I would never run a car that low.

bah my splitter is about that low and its just a tad broken, keep it how it is just watch your sump, im on my 2nd, correct me if im wrong but your splitter isnt realy that low either as its parked on a slope with the splitter above the flat?

no my splitter is that low...its angle of pic that makes look like a slope...my drive is as flat and level as they come...only issue is splitter scrapping on some roads depends on camber of road etc...but apart from that it drives and handles really well....going to get it poly bushed as well tighten it up more in the corners and get some g60 brakes for it...and braided hoses and squeeze some more life out of the engine...

i must say its my 1st rado but ive had 6 mk2 gti's and the mk2 gti 16v kr kjet is a far quicker car and revs much better than the 2.0 9a...but hopeing a few mods will sort this out ...rado feels more like a cruiser than a sporty number...still its my only complaint as the rest of the rado is far better than a mk2 gti ...but im sure if you stripped a rado out for the track make some difference as the amount of weight it must carry with all the electrics

the 2ltr has different management/ ECU as VW had to meet stricter emissions regs, this meant bhp losses which vw offset with the 2ltr displacement. the 2ltr ports are slighlty bigger on the inlet, with smaller exhaust unlike the 1.8 kt which is the other way round - kr therefore revs more easily whereas 2ltr has better low down torque - as a mkII man hopefully you noticed difference low down!

oh, and you probably already realise that sitting a car too low makes your car more unstable, benfits of lowering only go so far!

to be honest its not a patch on a mk2 16v kr in terms of peformance....but before you all stab me :grin: ...the rado is a far better put together car and much nicer and smoother to drive even on its hoop...im going to raise it slightly but not much...maybe 1'' will do so i can really throw it into the corners on the track once its poly bushed and some g60 brakes....going to get proper decat fitted and buy a new/used cat to put on at m.o.t time....apart from that nothing serious...handling and brakes far out weigh out right power especialy at knockhill

poly bushes deffo make a big difference to the car, i recently did mine and its great compared to the old sloppy ones especialy under breaking.......

what coilovers are you using as mine are wound all the way and the front of my car is sitting higher, i might have to invest in some uprated top mounts