Sign in to follow this  
onzlouk

Corrado Track Car

Nice project. A word on brakes. All the factory ones are garbage.280,288,312,344. All crap on track. You need 4 pots as a must. I've got 355mm Alcons on mine and they are astonishing. They also fit under some 17"s.

As kev says, handling is subjective, but if you are taking it seriously then look at what actual race cars are running, not what fast road car users run, it's a different ball game altogether. Where the ring us concerned that's not so hard on the brakes, concentrate on getting the suspension right to carry speed over the bumps and through the high speed corners. I'll update my build thread later tonight.

What do the protectors look like? got a pic??

The ones that were on a group buy. There the smoked version. Photo below.DSC00094.JPG[/attachment:11zahete]

Pictures are great. So how did the day go? How did you feel the car performed? Any tweaks you now want to make based on the track work? Any problems?

If you could do a few words when you have a moment free that would be great.

Admired the photos you posted on PH as well by the way :) Corrados have taken over that thread, LOL

Great pictures glad to see another track focused corrado. If your after a really good set of brakes try rally design i use the 310mm willwood brake kit good price and i have not had any fade and i run 435bhp 416ftlb.

Pictures are great. So how did the day go? How did you feel the car performed? Any tweaks you now want to make based on the track work? Any problems?

If you could do a few words when you have a moment free that would be great.

Admired the photos you posted on PH as well by the way :) Corrados have taken over that thread, LOL

Cheers!

Day was great, weather stayed good all day bar a couple of quick showers. Lots of great cars to look at and chase around too.

Definitely faster as the day went on and confidence was growing, didnt want it to end really :nuts:

Apart from a little misfire when we first arrived which was sorted by checking all the plugs the car was absolutely faultless, the handling and stopping exceeded my expectations to be honest. It could do wit the front a little higher to stop the rubbing and the back perhaps a little harder, maybe next time ill tweak the tyre pressures too.

Ive really got the bug now and am looking forward to our Ring trackday in august, probably going to book up for Oulton Park in september too!

I bought the cd of the photos they took as it was our first one :lol:

The South circuit is quick, very quick the more confident you get but there are two very sharp bends which are hard to get used to!

Great pictures glad to see another track focused corrado. If your after a really good set of brakes try rally design i use the 310mm willwood brake kit good price and i have not had any fade and i run 435bhp 416ftlb.

The brakes i have on are the 288' with Yellowstuff R pads, they didnt miss a beat all day and we drove pretty hard and often, the car is very light now and the engines standard so theyre more than up to it.

What the hell have you got in making that power??

Oulton park was where that picture of me was taken really good track not a lot of run of but a good technical track.

My car has a 1.9 20vt fully forged with a owen developments turbo in gear performance is silly.

Im looking at a custom cage im 6.3 and im not shore i will fit in how tall are you do you have any height issues.

Nice work indeed. the car looks great and lots of fun. I noticed in your photos that you have your centre caps on the rear of the Team Dynamics 1.2s. I cant seem to get mine on because of the bearing cap. Just out of interest, what's the ET of your wheels, cheers.

I don't know if it's something you require or are interested in but I have a Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential which you may be interested in to help you on your way? I bought it on the recent group buy but I'm not going to get round to fitting it so if you're interested, let me know. I'm after what I paid for it - £663 delivered. Could shave a couple of seconds off your lap times!! :clap:

This is a great thread... I'm gonna keep up with this one.

With regard to brakes... The 280mm OEM+ brakes on my old VX Corsa came from a Meriva... 20mm bigger discs, but the piston was much bigger than standard ones. They're the same brake setup my mates throttle bodied corsa runs, they're fine for his track use and fast road use... people with highly tuned cars have often mistaken them for 4-pots (obviously the braking force not the look of the caliper).

I don't know what the different VW upgrades are like compared to standard... but 4 or more pots are not necessarily absolutely essential... could you do something like run R32 or even R36 calipers (with custom carrier brackets made up) to fit them to a Corrado hub?

It would be good if you could keep track of and give updates on things like the car weight, lap times achieved, the kind of cars you were similar to on track etc

you need min 305mm 2 piece discs and min 4 piston calipers.

people that say they have x amount of bhp and run standard brakes must not be driving hard enough. i can go out and warp the front discs on a 1.0l polo if i want to.

get rid of those shit ebc brake pads please and buy some proper pagid rs29 pads,

a 16" wheel is a good compromise. a friend of mine runs a k20 corrado in the irish touring car series and he is going from 17" wheels down to 16"

you need to get the car as low as possible but keeping proper geometry with ball joint extenders and upside down track rod ends. no wishbones above horizontal :nono:

check out scch for tubular front wishbones and a full kit to rose joint the whole car, it really makes a nice job of the suspension.

it all depends what level of a car you want, just a normal trackday car or a weapon you can tear up the track with

6hugsg.jpg

Hi, really like the car! (I know you have now sold it). I am (slowly) turning my Corrado into a track car and I was wondering how you got the floor cleaned up?

I am removing all the horrid black stuff that is under the carpet and sound deadening using a heat gun and a scraper- not a pleasant job! I imagine there isn't an easy way of getting rid of it. Did you do the same or is there an 'easier' or alternate method?

I sympathise with you haha, the job is hell. It took me litres of thinners and all other sorts of fluids, a wire brush, a wire wheel in a drill, a scraper, a heatgun.....really not fun.

Thanks I am looking forward to finishing. I Thought that was the case. Well I'd best get on with it and then I just the have job of deciding what colour to paint the interior.