Sign in to follow this  
dug4333

1990 1.8, fan seems to be draining battery

hi

i have a 1990 1.8 and recently it needed to be jump started,i started it and checked the voltage to make sure it was taking a charge

the battery is only 2 months old 60 ah. so everything checked out but when i drive it for a while,park it and try to restart it later

it seems as if the fan keeps running after the engine is turned off until the battery is drained

can any1 help

thank you

interesting, u sure its ur fan? check the fan switch near the oil cap on the rocker cover....there should be a thin black wire going to it, make sure its connected and not shorting to the body, if it does the fan runs .

Have you got a yellow sensor/switch on the head or a black one? Jim Hughes had a similar problem and it was due to a black sensor being fitted which has the wrong resistance in this thread

i had a look an i found the black wire but theres no swich to connect it to,it seemstohave part of the sensor connected to the spade. i even brought my laptop out to the car to compare the picture you sent jim

sholuld the fan run without the sensor?

thanks for your time and help

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPhoto0286.jpg[/attachmment]

you can see the black wire bottom middle of this picture

hi,there should b a fan switch there........it turns on after ignition is off to cool the engine down...its probably touching the body and shorting hence it keep running or having broken off its saying ur engine it hot so it turns on, but there ain't no feedback to say "OK time to turn off" lol

sure there not expensive or theres a few 16v's breaking on here

06082009009.jpg

06082009010.jpg

cheers bob

nice 1

so ill get 1 and earth it off that bolt

i was wondering where it was fixed to,although thebolt is tightened down full and there no sign of the ring the bolt passes through from the old switch.

hope its not someting a previous owner did to bypass it using another way to cut the fan

hopefully be back on the road soon

thanks

if it dont mabey i could put in a timed relay to break the fan positive after a set time controled by the ignition

nice 1 for the help

if it dont mabey i could put in a timed relay to break the fan positive after a set time controled by the ignition

nice 1 for the help

im not that adv with electrics! 8)

nice 1 for the help

I'd try to put it all back as it should be, the live feed for that switch should come out of the loom on the left hand side of the engine bay around the top of the suspension turret. You may have another fault elsewhere if the fan is cutting in with the ignition off, which really should be properly traced and sorted.

I'm sure there's a few of us on here with 1.8's that can help to sort it.

nice 1 for the help

I'd try to put it all back as it should be, the live feed for that switch should come out of the loom on the left hand side of the engine bay around the top of the suspension turret. You may have another fault elsewhere if the fan is cutting in with the ignition off, which really should be properly traced and sorted.

I'm sure there's a few of us on here with 1.8's that can help to sort it.

i agree with the above if it fails.....i think most of us on here at sum point had to check some sort of wiring issue on corrado's.... :censored:

i ordered a new fan switch (yellow )today from vw it will be here early next week only 24 euro inc mounting bracket

i was kinda afraid of ordering parts for an old(ish) car thinking it costs massive money but since i got on tis forum

im so happy,hopefully soon my corrado will be where it belongs..on the road

sorry for all the questions but i read that the seat belt mech is powered an also can drain the battery if its not

fully retracted,is this true?

again thanks every1 ill share the knowledge

hope this sorts my prob

johnPhoto00295.jpg[/attachment:3b9i8s88]

i ordered a new fan switch (yellow )today from vw it will be here early next week only 24 euro inc mounting bracket

i was kinda afraid of ordering parts for an old(ish) car thinking it costs massive money but since i got on tis forum

im so happy,hopefully soon my corrado will be where it belongs..on the road

sorry for all the questions but i read that the seat belt mech is powered an also can drain the battery if its not

fully retracted,is this true?

again thanks every1 ill share the knowledge

hope this sorts my prob

johnPhoto00295.jpg[/attachment:1qkiwwjr]

i dnt think so......i got no power going to my rear seats :confused4: :scratch:

ill wait till the fan switch arrives and then ask more

if it dont solve the prob is it ok if i ask more

anything i learn i will pas on,its jus im new to these cars

i always have wanted 1 an spent bout 6 months gettin it sorted

new white paint etc,then this happens

cheers

ill wait till the fan switch arrives and then ask more

if it dont solve the prob is it ok if i ask more

anything i learn i will pas on,its jus im new to these cars

i always have wanted 1 an spent bout 6 months gettin it sorted

new white paint etc,then this happens

cheers

ask as many as you want......i sorted my power drain out....two things, lead from battery to starter motor was broken/corroded, and dodge alternator....