Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

VR6 Idle problem

Can anyone identify the likely cause please ...

Came back from a 2 week holiday. Started the VR6 and the engine idle speed was very lumpy till warmed up.

A few days later (today) whilst driving at low speed it started to rev erratically between 1250 - 1750 rpm. It now does this on idle.

Driving the car over 3000 rpm over 40mph is fine but as soon as I try to drive below 40mph it does the above. The car is doing this either from cold or at normal operating temp.

Please point me in the right direction so that the garage does not baffle me with BS when I take it in.

standard (cheap) things first - check fuel pump and ecu relays, clean throttle body, scan it for errors (of course :shrug: ), then see how you get on.

Might also be the fuel pressure regulator or blocked fuel filter, or even a weak fuel pump.

Thanks. I did suspect a fuel problem but the rev fluctuations seem too regular to be a blockage if you know what I mean. Its like a metronome. As though I am rapidly tapping the accelerator, on, off, on, off, etc.

The fuel pump relay may be suspect as I have had an intermittent starting problem in the recent past.

I know I must say this about twice a day but you'll be able to find all the information you need if you just use the advanced search tool (link in the top right of every page) and take 10 seconds to read how best to use it ....

VR6 idle problems must be one of THE most commonly asked questions.

Best of luck with getting it sorted.

Sorry VR6, I did look but could not find.

Anyway, my local garage sorted it. The idle speed control valve was shot. I must be half way to a brand new VR6 by now ;-)