Sign in to follow this  
mort1414

drilled/slotted vs plain disks

just about to buy some new disks had a search couldnt really find anything on this subject

is it really worth the extra 65 quid ebc are asking for a slotted disk over a plain one,

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/part ... 2899%2D%29

cheers mort

are you running standard sized disks?

how hard do you drive and on what sort of roads?, town/motorway mainly?

grooved disks will tend to eat pads quickly compared to the same sized plain disks

It really depends what you're after, maximum resistance to fade or the most positive feel in town with cold brakes

im gettin 312mm disks for my brembos ,cars used as a daily( 90 mile a day )but gets driven properly at the weekends my 280s dont stand a chance at the moment i suppose i could get plain and see how i go as there only 40 quid

cheere mort

Have you already run these bigger discs before? If so, then you can answer your own query - do you currently get brake fade? If so, then theres a good chance they're getting too hot and a drilled disc will help. Bear in mind that the 'cheap' discs are vented, just not drilled; drilled will run cooler - you might eat pads quicker.

I'd be surprised if you need them. I see brembo 4 pots on big discs and these sized cars and they'll stop you on a penny, on a normal vented disc.

If you've not tried these bigger discs before, then its hard to tell. IF you're in the process of upgrading, then I'd be tempted to go cheap for now and see if you like the new discs and pads and calipers, with new fluid (as said, they should do well). But you may end up paying twice if you dont like them and find they get too hot - nothing worse than boiling your hub; but I'd only expect this if you were hard on them, like being on a track.

also is there any other bad points to drilled/slotted than extra cost and using pads faster

cheers mort

I've got a matched pair of mintex 312mm plain discs and pads without the brembos, and they are better by a country mile than my 280mm setup (EBC grooved discs and Pagid FR pads), no brake fade witnessed yet. However that tends to creep in with worn discs and pads (which mine aren't yet), also the elimination of the grooved disc grating is nice and pleasant.

Standard discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads. Went out round the Nurburgring in a VR6 Corrado last week with that setup on 280s and was really impressed. If you brake hard drilled discs can crack. Grooved discs will help prevent brake fade but will significantly reduce pad life so probably not great for a daily