Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Mk4 rear beam axle onto a Beetle

I know the Corrado uses one solid beam, so some of you Know-its might know how easy/hard it is to replace a Mk4 axle...?

I say Mk4, its actually a Beetle, but dont they share the same gubbins as the Mk4 and TT-1?

Anyone know of a place that will do the job cheap (within 100 mile of Coventry - London to Manchester), and where to buy the parts?

Many thanks in advance

Try Dave or Graham at DG Autotech. They're in the vicinity, look in the suppliers section for contact details.

I suppose it does miss-read, but I meant (as per title) a replacement for an axle on a Beetle (not corrado). You guys being VAG Gurus, I thought you may have heard some stuff about them - be it Beetle or more likely Mk4's. Im not a member of any Golf/Beetle forums.

Cheers Toad, will look up 'Dave'

lol, I can see why it was miss read but didn't think you seriously meant fitting a mk4 beam to a corrado.

looking at my mk4, the major difference to the mk2/3 design is the springs are mounted separately to the dampers, the bushings are also angled rather than perpendicular to the side line of the car. I can't see whay it would be a massively different job to doing a mk2/3/Corrado one though, brake lines, mounting bolts etc would all take about the same amount of time I'd have thought. Damper should be easy to disconnect, can't remember exactly how the spring is seated on the beam.

these might help:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfmk4shock.gif[/attachment:1n9v1zuw]

mk4beam.gif[/attachment:1n9v1zuw]

cheers dave

I need to take a look under the Beetle, but I imagine that we wont be able to tell what is bent, until we take everything off and offer up a new beam.

(how women manage to drive over small walls, i dont know)