Sign in to follow this  
ianVR6

Suspension Help

Last summer I bought a set of eibach springs hoping that this would solve the clunking sound on nearly full lock ( a previous owner had lowered the car). It did improve slightly but has got much worse over the last couple of months, as a result it failed the MOT. My garage has stripped it all and found that the springs don't fit in the top plate. I've checked with VW and the correct top plate has been fitted. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated as i'm totally ignorant regarding the suspension......most things actually

What year is your car? The Eibach (as well as most of the aftermarket springs) use the earlier (larger) top plates and need to be swapped over if yours is a later car with the smaller top plates. I think that the change over is 92/93 ish (I'm sure someone will advise exactly). I had to do it with my early 94 M VR.

HTH

the smaller late pate only just sits on the springs, will a slight knock it will just fall through the spring

Thanks for all your help guys. So does the older plate fit in the newer car ok? or does it need to modified in any way?

apparantly people use them with the late style top mounts (which you have), they are quite a bit different looking to the late plates.

i have photos somewhere

pre95struct.jpg

95onstruct.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

thats boths types of mount and plate ^^ (shiny one is the early plate, rusty one above it is the late plate, the late mount is rubber thing with a separate bearing)

Hi guys, well earlier on I went to collect my car from the garage. It had had an MOT, service, new discs & pads on the back, new bearing on the back, new ABS sensor on the back and the correct top plates fitted on to the eibachs!! I drove the car for 5 minutes then as I went to crawl over a speed bump the ABS pump starts whirring for no reason and brakes go on, when I touch the pedal they release!!! So the cars back in the garage! Anyway, for those 5 minutes I had the car it was like driving a completely new corrado. What a difference those top plates have made, thanks so much guys! Its now made me realise how bad the handling was. Whoever had the car before me had put the later top plates on, so when I bought it I didint know any different. For 5 mins this afternoon it felt like I was driving a corrado for the first time!!

Thanks again.

Rang my garage about the pedal sensor. The fault showed up initially as the sensor but then cleared, but the symptoms are still there. They tried to get a new pedal sensor but failed, so anybody know where I can get one from or what the part number is? Also the garage said that their VAGCOM didnt fit my car? does this make sense? they been using some other software. i'm ignorant on most matters technical....on a very big learning curve!

Hi I have the same problem with my 95 c fitted with eibach springs, it clunks at low speeds when you turn it to full lock, do I just need to buy the early to plates? Out of interest front end of car sits a bit higher than the back, I understand there are lowering to plates is it wORTH getting them?