Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Longer wheel bolts - Problem

After fitting aftermarket wheels I decided to fit longer wheels bolts too, which are about 13mm longer then the standard bolts. All was fine until recently when i took the NSF wheel off for whatever reason, when i fitted the wheels again, something now clicks as the wheel goes round. I removed the wheel and refitted it, the clicking seemed to stop.

Today the car went in for the geometry setting up and 2 new front tyres. Now the clicking started again on the NSF wheel :confused4:

Its only doing it on one wheel and only when the longer bolts are fitted. So obviously the bolts are catching.... but on what? The only thing i can think of is the ABS sensor.

Any other ideas??

Hi mate - yeah will be the ABS rotor...

some cheaper bolts are cut to length and you might find one is a bit longer than the others - may need cutting down slightly or swapping for a rear

Hi mate - yeah will be the ABS rotor...

some cheaper bolts are cut to length and you might find one is a bit longer than the others - may need cutting down slightly or swapping for a rear

Cheers SC.

I'm going to take a look today and ill start by measuring the bolts.

Doesnt the rotor go around with the bolts though as the wheel is in motion. The clonking sounds like something going around is clipping something that is stationary.

I think it'll be the sensor as you first thought, take it out and look at the end of it, you will see if it's been scraped.

Got the same problem on the NSF and I have had longer bolts fitted for 6 months and only just started doing it when I had the wheel off last week :confused4:

Will give the ABS sensor a check as well tho, ta

Not great with wheel parts anyone got a pick of where the ABS sensor is, or is it really obvious :nuts:

Matt

Supercharged you were right its the rotor. I peered into the holes and there are marks on the rotor from the bolts... though not all the bolts have been marking. Also its only happening with one of the holes, regardless of which bolts goes in that hole. So i put the shorter locking wheel nut in that hole and no more problem.

This would explain why sometimes its ok and other times its not. It depends which hole i put the locking nut in - for some strange reason : :shrug:

The same happened to me on a g60 with 10mm longer bolts, they bent the abs rotor, which caused the abs to malfunction when coming to a stop. I moved the abs sensor further away from the rotor but things got worse, the only solution in the end was to have a new rotor fitted (hub removed from car) very expensive job!

So be very careful with long wheelbolts!

The same happened to me on a g60 with 10mm longer bolts, they bent the abs rotor, which caused the abs to malfunction when coming to a stop. I moved the abs sensor further away from the rotor but things got worse, the only solution in the end was to have a new rotor fitted (hub removed from car) very expensive job!

So be very careful with long wheelbolts!

Cheers for the heads up :salute:

The bolts are about 9mm longer then standard. The ABS is working fine also. I just dont get why only one hole seems to allow the bolts to catch something :confused4: