CIPO

Spoiler sticking!!

I know this has been covered! It sticks on its way up & down either automatically or by the switch. I have had the cables out so they have been greased. What could be the issue if it's not the cables. Can't be the motor i assume as it wouldn't be working at all.........???

Any advice would be great!! Cheers.

The motor has a thermoswitch built into it. If it gets too hot then it automatically cuts off. The heat can be caused by mechanical resistance in the motor itself, or sticking cables etc... My spoiler had this same problem so I took the whole mechanism off, stripped the cables and cleaned/relubricated them, then stripped the motor, carefully cleaned the armature and brushes using electrical contact cleaner, removed all the bits of carbon and adjusted the end-float on the motor shaft using the screw that is there for that purpose.

Once it was all back together I tested it off the car using a simple 12V feed to the motor itself and there were no sticking problems at all. Its not a very complicated job, it just took a bit of time to strip the mechanism apart, clean it and reassemble it in the car - probably about 4 hours in total. Well worth it though as the spoiler works with no problems at all now!

i have the same problem... i'd take the motor out, but there are so many wires n things in the way i'm just afraid of bodging something up...

Tom, do you happen to have any pics of your strip down of the motor?

I did start to make a wiki guide to it as I figured it'd be pretty useful, but it got to the point where I started to lose track of the pictures etc! I think I might do it to my new VR6 just for the hell of it anyway as I'm sure it'll need attention, so I'll get a guide together then!

I appreciate thats not much help to you now - but it really isn't that difficult to be honest.

Tom

As Purple Tom has said it can be the thermoswitch cutting the motor feed. If you listen carefully when operating the motor on the switch you will hear a click as the spoiler stops. I ended up removing the thermoswitch completely and replaced it with a link wire as cleaning and greasing the runners and servicing the motor didn't cure the problem, I would imagine the thermoswitch itself can become a little tired over time.

If the motor did overheat with the thermoswitch removed it would draw excessive current and blow the fuse at the fusebox, which is not uncommon when the spoiler starts playing up anyway.

i had this issue and figured it must be the thermoswitch as you can def hear it click. in the end i just bought a new mech from the bay for £20. at some stage I'll strip down my now spare mech and prob just bypass the thermoswitch

Mines done this for ages now goes up in 3 stages sometimes and then other times it goes up in one like it should have you got any pics of the said thermoswitch??

Mines done this for ages now goes up in 3 stages sometimes and then other times it goes up in one like it should have you got any pics of the said thermoswitch??

I don't have a pic of the thermoswitch but it's the green component attached to the round plastic end of the motor that houses the brushes. You will notice is is wired inline with one of the brushes, all you need to do is unsolder and remove it and replace it with some wire. I did mine about four months ago now and it has worked perfectly ever since. :)

Be sure to clean and lubricate your runners aswell so as not to put the motor under undue strain otherwise you may find it starts blowing the fuse. :(

I don't have a pic of the thermoswitch but it's the green component attached to the round plastic end of the motor that houses the brushes. You will notice is is wired inline with one of the brushes, all you need to do is unsolder and remove it and replace it with some wire. I did mine about four months ago now and it has worked perfectly ever since. :)

Be sure to clean and lubricate your runners aswell so as not to put the motor under undue strain otherwise you may find it starts blowing the fuse. :([/quote:1p3h2yrw]

can you do all of this with the motor in place or would you have to remove it?

crud! there are a lot of cables and things in the way... i think a couple have fluids going through them... am i ok dissconnecting them? or can i do with them still connected? sorry, i'm a bit of a numpty! :cuckoo:

you don't need to disconnect or remove anything other than the mech, i removed and refitted a new one without taking out anything i didn't need to. the only pipes you may see are central locking and wiper washer - neither of which I went anywhere near...

when I put the new mech back in I also made sure I didn't wrap the wires around it in teh same way it was when standard, just to make it easier to get out next time (there will be a next time of course :lol: )

right so i'm trying to take the spoiler motor out... i find it pretty hard to beleve that this thing drops out without needing to dissconnect any of the wiring around it...

Right, so this thing here i presume is for the rear washer... how do i disconnect this?

spoiler1j.jpg

spoiler2t.jpg

This wire also needs to be disconnected, it's going straight into the boot lock mechanism and i can see or feel how it's connected...

spoiler3o.jpg

also in this pic in the blue i've circled central locking mechanism... it would be easier if i knew how to disconnect this... tho it's not essential...

spoiler4.jpg

Many thanks!

Kris

Just took mine out and stripped it back this morning. Hey presto, it's working again!

The little yellow pipe in the blue circle just pulls out. It is the central locking mechanism I think but it hasn't got fluid in it or anything.

Pull the wiper fluid pip off too and then kink it over if it starts dripping.

As far as all the cables go, just disconnect them all. It's simple enough to connect back together when the mechanism is back in.

When it comes to actually removing the whole mech, there are 4 bolts attaching the mech on the inside and then I had to unscrew the 2 screws holding the little plastic cover on the left hand side of the spoiler too. Does that make sense?!

It looks tricky but it's actually not too difficult when you get started. The hardest bit is actually getting the mechanism out once it's all loose with the bolts undone - fairly tight squeeze!

I'm a proper amateur as far as tinkering with cars go and it took me an hour or so to get it out, strip all the cogs and get it back in. Didn't pay the motor any attention but it seems fine now anyway! :clap:

awsome! thanx for that buddy... got it out...

where is this thermoswitch?

there is no green thing!! am i even looking in the right place?

dsc00731.jpg

Not sure about the thermoswitch but I think the 2 little things with wire going in are pressure sensors which disengage when the white arms are fully out.

Maybe the thermoswitch is nearer the motor?

All I did was wash all the cogs that came out of the motor, gave them a good coating of WD40 and then re-greased them. When you put it all back together, make sure all the cogs are fully inserted. I didn't make sure of this first time round and only found out once it was all bolted back in! Good idea to connect up the electrics before you put it back in and get the misses to push the spoiler switch!!

Took Corryn out for a run in the winter sunshine yesterday and noticed sqeaking from spoiler as it retracted.

Gave the extending tubes a good rub round with graphite dust - now as smooth as you like!