Sign in to follow this  
ken corrado

fuel gauge, easy to fix?

Is it erratic - goes up and down quickly all the time?

Mines the same, but i think the corrado fuel guage has never been that good anyway. Try the search it has been covered before.

I doubt it's a problem with the gauge, it will be the sender in the tank that's dodgy. Not too bad a job to replace, take the carpet out the boot, undo the 3 screws and remove the fuel pump lid and you will see the fuel pump. The sender's can be replaced and shouldn't cost too much either. It's the big arm that goes up and down you need to replace :)

I doubt it's a problem with the gauge, it will be the sender in the tank that's dodgy. Not too bad a job to replace, take the carpet out the boot, undo the 3 screws and remove the fuel pump lid and you will see the fuel pump. The sender's can be replaced and shouldn't cost too much either. It's the big arm that goes up and down you need to replace :)

So once you have the metal disc removed thats held on by the 3 screws. What do you need to remove then to get to the arm?

So once you have the metal disc removed thats held on by the 3 screws. What do you need to remove then to get to the arm?

Sorry weren't ignoring you, I thought I would show you! I've attached couple of pics of my old pump, the first showing roughly how you will see it sitting in the tank when you remove the lid except the top bit will be screwed in place with a big plastic lid. You'll need to remove the fuel lines, best to do after the car has been off for a while so the fuel pressure has dropped else it will piss out! Remove the 2 fuel lines, undo the black plastic screw on lid (may need assistance from a screwdriver and a hammer to knock it round to begin with as it'll most likely be tight), then you'll see the pump sitting in the fuel tank (and the fuel so best to do it with an empty ish tank not just after filling up :eek:).

As you can see in the second pic the sender just clips off so you won't need to remove the tank, just get your hand in and unclip it, then clip on a new one. Job's a good 'un 8)

Nice one Rob, thanks for that. will give it a go. Will the whole thing need replacing to sort the guage out or just the lever? Are parts still available from the dealers?

Nice one Rob, thanks for that. will give it a go. Will the whole thing need replacing to sort the guage out or just the lever? Are parts still available from the dealers?

You wouldn't need to change the pump as long as it's still working fine and not noisy or anything, it'll most likely just be the sender that's playing up. AFAIK you can get just the sender from the dealer, no idea on price though :confused4:

Ah ok :lol:

How does the arm wear to cause inaccurate readings?

Not sure really, i'm guessing the contact wears down. You can see on the pics that as the arm goes up and down with the fuel it rubs a contact along a sensor, this must wear down causing irratic behaviour at a guess :confused4:

Ah ok :lol:

How does the arm wear to cause inaccurate readings?

Not sure really, i'm guessing the contact wears down. You can see on the pics that as the arm goes up and down with the fuel it rubs a contact along a sensor, this must wear down causing irratic behaviour at a guess :confused4:

That seems a reasonable theory. Cheers for the info and the pics Rob, appreciated. I'll take a look into it.

Gaz