Sign in to follow this  
mort1414

brake fitting help and which brake bleeder to use

ok 1st off im goin to fit my brembo brake kit either this weekend or next never had to bleed any brakes or change the fluid so just after a little advise do's and dont's

and is there any brake fluids that cant be mixed?

also a can anybody recomend a brake bleeding kit ?

cheers mort

good if you have a compressor

i ise the gunsons jobbie from halfrauds its pressurised from a tyre and seem to do a good job :D

and is less than half the price of that one :D

yh i was looking at the gunsons one but all the reviews on halfords web site were bad probably just get it and see how i go

cheers

Did you do it yet?

You asked about mixing fluids. Best not to. The Corrado typically takes DOT4. Since then I've heard garages saying they'll use DOT5, where I cry with dispair and tell them it must be 5.1.

DOT5 cannot be mixed or even used with DOT4. Read HERE for more, I've even heard dot5 will attack parts of old systems.

yh i was looking at the gunsons one but all the reviews on halfords web site were bad probably just get it and see how i go

cheers

I used one a while back and it did the job just fine, much much better than pedal-pumping bleeding with someone in the car.

here's another vote for the gunson eezibleed kit - i've used one before on my own corrado and i thought it was a neat bit of kit.

the only bad thing is you'll need a syringe or some rags to hand as it leaves the fluid reservior brimmed with fluid and you'll need to empty a little back out before you put the lid on.

and make sure you've got plenty of brake fluid to hand as the gunson will generally use more than doing it the "old fashioned way" of pump the pedal with a friend.

the gunson is vastly easier though and seems to do a better job of bleeding as well.

yep i bought the gunson in the end was very imprsessed

i think im going to replace all the fluid with this http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-741-castrol ... fluid.aspx

Replace every two years? Never knew that .. I've had the car a year and not done it and I can't remember seing any evidence of it being done recently in the history. May have to look at that then.

to do brakes and clutch on a rado shouldn't in theory use more than 1 litre.

that said, if you're using a gunson, i would have two litres (or 1.5 depending on what bottles you're buying) to hand, just to make sure you don't run dry and start putting air into the system...

i think im going to replace all the fluid with this http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-741-castrol ... fluid.aspx

Replace every two years? Never knew that .. I've had the car a year and not done it and I can't remember seing any evidence of it being done recently in the history. May have to look at that then.

brake fluid is hygroscopic (basically it draws in water from the atmosphere over time).

as it draws in more water over the years it's boiling point gradually gets less and less (making it unsafe), and also it will start to rot the internals of your braking system - steel lines, pistons in brake calipers, abs pump internals etc etc

i think manufacturers quote a change every 5 years or so.

guess it depends on how much you use the car, where it's stored, how hard you brake etc etc - personally i would change it at least every 3 years just to be sure.

you can buy testers that tell you the boiling point and/or water concentration for not much money as well if you're worried :wink:

brake fluid is hygroscopic (basically it draws in water from the atmosphere over time).

as it draws in more water over the years it's boiling point gradually gets less and less (making it unsafe), and also it will start to rot the internals of your braking system - steel lines, pistons in brake calipers, abs pump internals etc etc

i think manufacturers quote a change every 5 years or so.

guess it depends on how much you use the car, where it's stored, how hard you brake etc etc - personally i would change it at least every 3 years just to be sure.

you can buy testers that tell you the boiling point and/or water concentration for not much money as well if you're worried :wink:

I think I'd rather just change it, I need some new flexi hoses anyway. Not sure I'm up for touching brakes myself, either need to find a local person up for exchanging labour for liquid persuasion to show me the ropes or I'll send it to the garage.