Sign in to follow this  
Chris Smith

Power Steering Pump Fail

I've been trying to sort a coolant leak on my VR6.

I began trying to empty the coolant system and accidentally disconnected the wrong hose. I thought the power steering pump was the thermostat or maybe the cooling pump... So when brown oily liquid started pooring from the hose I quickly plugged it back on to the power steering pump.

Now when I start her up my power steering pump is not a happy chappy. It's making a grunting/groaning noise every few seconds.

As you may tell I'm pretty new to this. Is there anything I can do to remedy the power steering?

Also, I've really struggled getting the bottom radiator pipe off. I was told not to use the bleeder on the crack pipe, as they're a known weak spot. Is there another way of draining the coolant?

fill it back up with fluid !! the Reservoir is located next to the battery and run the engine and turn the steering lock to lock a few times to bleed the rack

should be ok then :D

if it was brown when it came out i would empty it first and then refill as it should be red (depending on what brand you buy)

As above - you just need 1 Ltr from VW - £5 as the whole system uses 0.9Ltr

You need to remove the serpentine belt though and prime the pump by hand - to do this you need am M8 by 80mm bolt to de-tension and you might want a new belt too

You need to remove the serpentine belt though and prime the pump by hand - to do this you need am M8 by 80mm bolt to de-tension and you might want a new belt too

wise words gotta do my belt this week end might as well do the power sterring pump fulid too !! :D

SWEET!Got it sorted. Thanks guys.

Had a bit of a pain draining all the PAS fluid, but got there in the end.

I didn't bother taking off the pump drive belt or priming it by hand. After a few turns of the wheel (about 25 times each way!) and a banging it with a spanner all the air came out and it's now silent. :)

Also found the leak on the coolant system, a rubber hose has disintigrated inside and has sprung a leak, I'll be down to VW to order a replacement on Tuesday.

If you want to pump P/S fluid round the system, you can use an electric drill to drive the pump. :)

can you use an m8 by 75mm bolt or does it have to be 80mm ?????