Sign in to follow this  
chopperado

Power steering leak with added smoke????

right

so basicly i know i have a power steering leak as the stuff is all over my drive ,cant find the leak source yet.

so i filled it up with some fresh power steering fluid and then did full lock a few times.i know its leaking but i still took her for a drive , now i noticed that smoke was coming out from under the bonnet which hasnt happened before while it has been leaking.

so im just wondering if it is the power steering fluid leak that is causing the smoke by somhow burning (the smoke is coming from behind the engine not from it)???

i know this is a pretty dumb question but would appreciate some input..

If the smoke is coming from the back of the engine I don't think it would be linked to the power steering. As far as I am aware the pump and all pipe work is located at the front of the engine (thats based on my VR). Could it be gasses leaking from the exhaust manifold/down pipe?

If the smoke is coming from the back of the engine I don't think it would be linked to the power steering. As far as I am aware the pump and all pipe work is located at the front of the engine (thats based on my VR). Could it be gasses leaking from the exhaust manifold/down pipe?

sorry mate didnt really give a good description, the smoke isnt coming from the engine itself, from what i can see its coming from the power steering pump (well verry low down in the engine bay ) could it be the warm engine cooking the power steering fluid ?

can you post a pic of where its coming from? Just some food for thought - does it only smoke when the car is up to temp? Is it smoke or steam, what colour is it? Could be a few things - the joint to teh PS pump could be faulty, the transfer pipecould have a leak or even teh flexy from teh reservoir could be damaged. Pics would help, but dont worry, i cant see it being a hard fix tbh.

the smoke is coming from below this area highlighted in red

well i havnt run her about in a while so yeah its only at full temp, the smoke is white , it smells chemically, so i think it is the PS fluid leaking onto the exaust system maybe??

its a 91 G60 incase that helps.

smoke !.jpg[/attachment:37a43jq1]

cheers bud