lauraJ

LauraJ's VR6

Nice too see two 16v putting out about the same power, with different tweaks :D

Would have been to say 3, but the fueling needs sorting out on mine. :scratch:

Would have been nice to say 3, but the fueling needs sorting out on mine. :scratch:

Ya shame about that, but at least it can be fixed

Yeah thats a shame about yours Ryan - but at least you know whats wrong with it! Thats always a start!

Good numbers there, Laura. Looks like it's running really well now :)

Well it was until yesterday - now it seems to all have gone to pot!! :brickwall:

No don't think E38 is really my thing. Not really into all that 'scene' stuff lol.

Agreed.

My car is red too and in desperate need of a respray but that's the least of my worries at the moment! I still use my front splitter. I'd rather scrape that than my sump. I do spend a lot of time wincing though.... :pale: :lol:

lovin tht! nice to see yet another red raddo and im same as sonicriot scrape it!!!

Well it was until yesterday - now it seems to all have gone to pot!! :brickwall:

Have to re-think my comment. Was going to say "have you got down from the clouds, after your 16v produced all them ponies" but obviously you have.

Nice to have met you both and hopefully will see you around at future events.

Went for alignment today as if you went to steer straight you have to have the steering wheel at an angle.

So took it to A-Line Alignment in Dudley (would really recommend this place if you are in the area!) and unfortunately even though the front is spot on. The rear is f***ed, needs a new rear beam! After my initial response of ahhh :censored: , it doesn't surprise me as the first job that Ross had to do was replace the rear stub axle on the drivers side. So it must have taken a good whack to that side at some point! So thats another thing to add onto the list :lol:

So my questions are- how big of a job is changing the rear beam? and what prices am I looking at for the part? Can I use a rear beam of a MK2 Golf/Jetta etc or is it not the same part?

Answers on a postcode please! lol

So now the aim is to get the rear beam sorted, then finally sort the power steering out.

Surprisingly easy to do a rear beam actually... we had the rear beam off mine, fitted new axle bushes, patched up some bits of corrosion and refitted in about half a day - and that was at a leisurely pace at a friends house.

IIRC you need to disconnect the brake lines, disconnect the suspension from each side (just one bolt per side!) and then remove...

Rear beams come up all the time nice and cheap from breakers - but definitely worth getting one tidied up and getting new rear axle bushes pressed in before you refit!

Ooh that a bugger Laura but as you say at least you know it'll only get better :? wil keep an eye out on this thread as i may have a go with mine soon too :eek:

ha well when you put it like that Jim it sounds like childs play! :lol:

I think the plan is to make sure we have 2 working cars before Ross starts the rear beam. At the moment the Garage is full due to the 200SX.

I'll let you know how it goes Kip, i'm surprised you haven't done one before?! And as you said, IT will get better!! :)

Well...

it's off the road a bit earlier then expected. but there is a fair old list of stuff that needs to be done.

It became apparent that my rear brakes were screwed this week,so this means either a rebuild or doing the MK4 Golf conversion.

Handbrake cables need looking at (well just one, for some reason only one was changed previously)

New Rear Beam (just need to get my hands on one) Hopefully this will sort out the steering.

New Thermo timer switch being fitted for the Cold Start,

New Power Steering pump being fitted. Last chance saloon, if this doesn't fix the lack of power steering it will mean a new rack :cry:

Aswell as all the belts are being changed!

Needless to say i'm going to have to be very nice to the other half as he is doing all the work and doesn't enjoy working on it.

Sad times I'm without a car for a while and it feels like it will be a while before it's back to full health.

So 'Geoff' is still off the road and to be honest not much has happened on the car (life seems to take over)

Although saying that, I now have a nice pile of parts and a nice hole in my bank balance.

Rear axle is now in my possession - waiting to go in it are new VAG bushes, just a small matter of getting the old ones out :? 10 tonne press anyone?

Have decided to go for the Mk4 brake conversion, so now have some calipers which are requiring a little refurb, a nice hour or so in the freezing cold to get these off a passat (these were a billy bargain though so well worth the effort!) new brembo discs, new pads, new braided Hel hoses (red :lol:)

New handbrake cables. Also need to fit new hard brake lines.

Also have a power steering pump and a thermo time switch to fit.

Some photos for your viewing (phone camera -so not the best) I really hope for it to be back in the road in the next few weeks, i've forgotten what it was like to drive and hopefully all this hard work (money) will bring an improvement in the driving.

th_DSC00227.jpg

Pile of Parts

th_DSC00229.jpg

New Axle to go onto Geoff

th_DSC00228.jpg

10 Tonne Press 8)

th_DSC00231.jpg

On stilts :(

th_DSC00234.jpg

Hel Braided Hoses - Planning to change the rest of the these in the near future.

And for the eagle eyed viewer - my new pressed plates are now on the car. All road legal!

Quick Update

Geoff is now off his stilts and back on solid ground, after a few hiccups with the rear brakes (ahem wrong claipers anyone?) all the braking system is now good to go apart from a bleed.

Ross went to change the power steering pump yesterday only to find that the bracket that holds it in place, had sheared and lots of bolts missing, so god knows how long it has been like that for and might explain why my power steering has been so dodgy?! Anyway Ross rang up VW thinking that the part is going to be stupidly expensive, to find out that it is only £25!! So he's snapped it up and is the last one around i'm afraid!

So it doesn't look to be too far from completion, it has been a while and I just can't wait to get back in and drive it. I would just like to have a fault free summer.

Will be taking it to D&G once mot'd and taxed to get the timing belt done and then who knows fault free motoring for a few months? :cuckoo:

Just been told by the other half that he has booked Geoff in for it's mot today at 2:30PM!!! aggghhh :gag:

*fingers crossed* heres hoping and all that!

lol just read my last reply and it doesn't make sense, i meant "rather than" not "then" :lol:

good luck with mot

Failed :(

hopefully going back in for retest tomorrow morning.

Failed on headlamp too low ?? (don't understand this as nothing has been changed in that area.

Excessive play on one of the wheel bearings

The one brake line that Ross didn't change it failed on

and on the one caliper that wasn't changed.

Ross spent yesterday with some help sorting it all out, so fingers crossed back on the road tomorrow with tax!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It passed it's re-test, so I now have a road worthy Corrado!! YAY!!! treated it £20 of Shell's finest.

The annoying thing is, that as we are near the end of the month, it would be pointless getting tax until August! However he has now moved up the pioirty list on our driveway and is now 2nd in the line!!

4 New tyres needed and I also need one seabring if anyone has one lying around ( will pay) as my spare tyre as I have a space saver at the moment!

:clap: Nice work Laura. always dread the MOT with my 8v but touch wood it flew through recently :grin: the VR though is never a problem 12 mot passes on the trot now :nuts: