Sign in to follow this  
johnypud

Fitting a 2ltr 8v block to a 16v head

i currently have a 1.8 16v engine running in rado, i also have a spare 2ltr 8v engine from a golf mk3.

Would it be possible for me to put the 16v head onto the 8v block?

would there be much point in me doing this and how would it effect the compression with the different shaped pistons.

thanks

i believe its just a case of swapping the head over if its the 2e engine but the agg engine is a bit mpre of a issue but someone will say for sure :D

if the 8v block has dished pistons they will be too low on compression I'd have thought, and the edge of them may even foul the inlet valves on the 16v head?

you'll also have the 8v distributor and oil pump drive to sort out as these parts vary even from the KR to th 9A 16v engines

the chaps over on Club GTI in the 16v sub forum will know everything for sure

Doing that will lower the compression to about 8:1, so you'd need to use ABF or 9A pistons to bring it back up. You'd also need the crank pulley, intermediate shaft and pulley and the 16v oil pump.

with the tall block and the 2E rods you'd need to use the ABF pistons to bring the compression back up.

The 9a's will not work.Different wrist pin diameter and pistion compression height.

Best to start with a tall 2.0 16v block in the first place.

Buy the time you scratch around for the parts it will be easier to just get hold of an ABF bottom end.

Saying that I do Have some ABF pistons and a spare 16v intermediate shaft/pulley,but i don't have a spare oil pump cog to drive the oil pump via the intermediate shaft if you did want to convert your 2e into a 16v block..

Not sure it is the best way for you to go though.

Oops, yeah forgot about the wrist pin diameter....

Agreed with dirtytorque, it'd be much simpler, and prolly cheaper in the long run to source an ABF

thanks for help guys, given me alot to look into,

cleaned and painted the 2ltr block today so if it doesnot go in its getting sold

thanks again :)