Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

broken ignition barrel

hello

Im looking for some help with my broken ignition barrel something inside has perished and broke, which bits do i need to sort it? also is it hard to get the barrel out to replace? cheers kemp

Where the 'here' is, is broked :(

DSC00920-2.jpg

DSC00921-2.jpg

na, its a little bit of weak metal that does it. ATM I got use my key in the 2nd pic

Yeah your right, just had a look at my spare barrel...

You need the barrel part itself which comes with 2 new keys, unfortunately it's the only lock on the car that can't be re-tumbled so ideally you need to tumble the other locks to the new keys.

You get the old one out by drilling a hole in the lock housing - Bentley shows how / where to do this.

if it is the same as my old mk2 n mk2 scirrocco u have to take the steerinwheel n wiperstorks etc and there is a pinch bolt that will hold the barrelhousing inplace and it will then just slide up off the steering colum. im not sure how the barrel comes out as i have never had to take one out the housing. not sure if this will help but you never no lol

i didnt need to take that off as both times i done it the bearing stayed on the coloum and not it the housing.

i dont mean to highjack the thread but how do u get the spline bit of the end of the rack and i have had a go with a 3l pully and have tryed beating it off with a chisel on the lip at the back. i just cant seem to get it off, and i dont want to cut it off as i have been given a wheel n boss from a mk2 golf and wish to put it on my scirocco but do want to damage the spline to much if it doesnt fit when i get it off and be stuffed lol

i grinded down the pully so got some good clean edges. do u mean get sum moleys round the bottem on pully arms? i think the spline to f**k now to get of so gotta make my mind up to wether cut it of and risk it or just leave the normall wheel on. lol

No - I mean pliers round the base of the splined adapter - then the puller on the pliers (hopefully that makes sense)

You really need a really good puller - the one VW use is 3-legged but with another bit you tighten up to keep it square.

Have you got the old one out by drilling the little hole? The new one just slides in and you press the little spring down as it butts up against the lock housing.

i dont think i got a drill small enough, is it easy to get to the hole? I think I know the hole your on about from looking at the new barrel

I wouldn't worry about having too small a drill. Chances are the hole will be in the wrong place anyway, even if you line it up carefully with the new barrel, so a bigger hole will make it easier...

It's all pretty easy when the cowling is off.

there is already holes there, which I was expecting tbh, as my ignition key isnt original. I cant get the thing out though :mad2: :censored: I m tryin to push in the spring and pull out at the same time?

this still wont come out. Ive made a big hole and poke it onto the hinge bit and it wont pull out at all :help: