Sign in to follow this  
smudger

1.8 Cams in a 2.0 16V????

Hi Guys and Girls :wave: ... I've just bought a Corrado 2.0 16V N reg(My first ever VW) and a mate has a couple of 1.8 engines and he reckons that the CAMs on the 1.8 can be used in the 2.0 as an upgrade? :cuckoo: :cuckoo: Has anybody heard of or done this?

Also what induction kits are there for the 2.0 16V, can't find any decent ones except the Pipercross one that replaces the complete bottom of the OE Airbox!

Thanks

Andy :salute:

welcome :wave:

cams yep, will make it perkier, induction kit on mechanical injection is a nono besides the waste of space pipercross kits - try the search, loads of info :D

Hi i fitted a kr inlet cam into my 9a head and there is more power at the top end than the standard cam and i havent notice any drop in torque. My 2.0 16v is standard apart from kr inlet cam and exhaust (cat back) it made 145 bhp at 5425rpm, 9 bhp up on standard and at a lower rpm the standard cam, it also made 136 ftlb of torque at 4306 rpm, 4 ftlb more than standard and also at a lower rpm. So in my eyes its a defo mod for anny 2.0 16v engine :D

it's only the inlet cam that is any different, the exhausts are the same, for even more lift look out for a pair of lumpy sticks from a mk3 16v or ibiza cupra with the 2L 16v 'ABF' engine. The odd Passat even had this engine in around 1995/6.

OK... So how much difference does the MK3 gti/ABF cams make compared to the 1.8? is there that much difference? Also are they both just a direct replacement or do I need to change/upgrade anything else i.e. followers etc...? And I take it that a Panel filter is the way to go, but which one... K&N or Pipercross? Also has anybody Chipped a 2.0 16V? I see Superchips do one, but for £200+ is it really worth it for 10 bhp? :shrug: :brickwall: :scratch: :roll:

Thanks guys :notworthy:

yep as DW says ABF better again, a good idea to change tappets etc but not absolutely necessary

don't get into habit of assuming cam at 10bhp plus chip at 10bhp = 20bhp... unfortunately it doesn't work like that! more important to make sure your motor is sweet - easy points

opinion split on highflow filters versus standard, i like them others swear by standard - can't go wrong with k&n imo tho

i'm not sure about those powerchip claims, i personally wouldn't bother

I had my car rolling roaded before doing the cam and then setup on the rollers after. From this I gained an extra 15 bhp. Definately worth having the fueling properly tweeked

I had my car rolling roaded before doing the cam and then setup on the rollers after. From this I gained an extra 15 bhp. Definately worth having the fueling properly tweeked

can you post up those graphs? would be interesting to compare.

Can do. May take me a little while as I'll have to go to the garage and see if they can email them or out them on a disc for me plus I'm away with work. Will put them in my members gallery section when I have them. Car feels very good to drive now and could probably put out more power but was tuned for a bit more mid range grunt

So... I picked up the car today, and to say I didn't sleep is an understatement! I've owned alot of cars from BMW to Imprezas but nothing has made me sleep less than a Corrado :help: Traded in my Impreza for it with cash my way, and considering its about half the power of the Impreza, it made me smile more :cuckoo: Other VW owners were waving and people were looking and pointing as I went by. To say it felt GOOD is an understatement :D Its got a few probs which are as follows... Drivers door handle don't work, but have been told its a common problem? And its idling a bit fast"1000rpm"... Is this normal? Been told it might need a good service or worse still could be Idle control valve or other... Does anybody have anyother hints they could throw my way :notworthy: Only had it a couple of hours and am in love dispite the flaws so any help would be much appreciated :clap: Its done 135K if that helps and is a 95 N reg 2.0 16V.

Thankyou

Andy