Sign in to follow this  
robtalbott

what is this, and should i be worried?

While doing the oil filter last night I discovered a really rusty component/panel just behind the front bumper. I have no idea what it's for, it looks like it's just a panel, although it does seem to loosely support a couple of rods.

As you can tell I am not a mechanic so excuse my terminology.

It's the only rusty thing on the whole car.

Any ideas what it is? Cheap to replace? Problem at all? (photo attached)

hi there,

that is your bumper, its the inner part, How bads the rust? can u poke holes in it? If its bad i'd get it replaced, not sure how much they would be new but 2nd hand u should be able to get it pretty cheap

mart

It's not a critical component. But will support the weight of the engine if you remove the 4 bumper bolts at any stage. Can also affect the PAS pipe that passes through it. Best to get it replaced and give the replacement a coating of a decent heavy duty metal paint to help prevent it rusting teh same way.

the bit that hangs down and has the PAS metal pipe passing through it is not structural as such...as far as I can tell, it only acts as a splash guard and gives a little support to the lower spoiler...

When I rebuilt my Corrado the first time around, I also found this was rusty, but the actual cross member was solid, so I simply cut off the rusty bit that hangs down and then had the rest of the panel shot blasted and powder coated... :lol: