Sign in to follow this  
Guest VW Monkey

Lack Of Power

Guest VW Monkey

Hi guys, can anyone help me? I have a lack of power with my 2ltr 16v. I have been told that my timing belt has slipped due to a possible problem with my crank shaft as the pully linked to it has a bit of a wobble. Now I'm not technally minded in any sense I wanted to know if this is a common problem or if any1 could shed any light what the problem could be and what do I need to get it done?

Thanks

It isn't unheard of for the crank pulley to come loose, although its mostly a problem on TDIs and occasionally G60s.

If the sprocket bolt has come loose then its likely that the sprocket has rattled around and damaged the end of the crank so it will be hard, maybe impossible, to time the engine correctly. Also if the crank nose is damaged the sprocket may not bolt on square either.

What you really need to do is pull all the timing gear and covers off and have a good look at the crank. Post some pics if you can.

Do not drive it like this! Until you find out more about the cause of the problem you run the risk of the crank pulley coming off, resulting in catastrophic engine damage.

Where are you located? Perhaps there is a kind soul nearby who could take a look?

Mikki :)