Sign in to follow this  
robtalbott

g60 calliper alternatives?

Hi there,

one of the rear callipers (and possibly more on the front) has seized on my g60.

what cars could be used from scrapyards as an alternative? i've heard rear mk4 golf callipers fit a vr6 would this also fit a g60? and what about the front?

thanks!

As far as I know all Corrado's had the same size rear brakes, fitting Mk4 Golf ones is a popular upgrade as they are ally and don't corrode like the originals. Think Mk3 Golf will fit as well, but not absolutely sure.

ian :D

early mk3 GTI's use 280 fronts, same caliper and carrier

mk3 rear calipers go on with no mods or hose changes on the back

will they fit with existing size brake pads/discs? just bought a new set and would rather not have to by another one!

yep, same pads, front and rear,

I don't mean you fit the rear pads on the front BTW :lol:

thanks for that!

so just to clarify its mk3 gti for the front, and is it standard/any golf mk3 with rear discs for the rear?

after about 1995 the mk3 went to 288 disks on the front, quite different looking ATE calipers too, don't get mixed up with those.

AFAIK the rear disks are all the same mk3 GTI, 16v GTI and VR6, and probably GL's etc with rear disks (if any had them???)

mk3 rear calipers have a slightly different mechanism for the handbrake realease spring that's all, but it works just the same and with the same hand brake cables, they are slightly more robust than the mk2 GTI style ones with the external spring.

cool, so if i buy some (such as these):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-GTI-MK3-N ... _500wt_939

i'll be able to swap them straight over for the ones on my g60 without the need for an other components/adapters?

sorry for the perhaps excessively blatant/simple questions but i'm a bit of a newbie

yeh, except the those ones look minging! :lol:

seriously, for that price I'd much rather buy a recon/exchange item, that one (apart from being a crappy pic) could be close to being siezed up itself, they're not that much more exchange from GSF etc.

my local scrappy charges about 10 quid for a S/H caliper!

GSF have them for £67 each (for pre 93 model) - mine is a 1992 g60

would you recommend buying a new pair or is it ok to just put 1 new one on the one side?

Buy them as a pair !

or if you just replace one you will find you will have increased braking on one side ! the last thing you need when braking hard is the car to swerve !!