Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

8v Starting Problem

Hi Guys,

Picked up my new Corrado 8v yesterday and am very very 'smiley' at the moment! :D She aint perfect but nothing I can't live with.... but (there was bound to be a but!) I'll shortern it down so you don't have an essay to read...

Started from cold (outdoor temp) - drove for 20mins @ around 40-50mph - parked up for 5 mins - 1st Start = turned over weakly. 2nd start = wek again but fired up after 5 seconds or so.

Drove about 4 miles - parked up 5-10 minutes - 1st Start = turned over weakly again. 2nd Start = Tried again and it made a sound that sent shivers down my spine, like a harsh raspy sound. 3rd Start = Fired up as normal.

Drove a mile or so - parked up for about 30 mins - 1st Start = again it was weak as if struggling but it did fire up after about 5 seconds.

It also idles slightly bumpy, wouldn't say rough but no worse than my old Mk2 Golf 1.8 Driver I don't suppose which never had starting problems.

I've read through the search results I got for 'starting problem' and the same sort of things seem to pop up but one in particular caught my eye which was the immobiliser issue. There was a post from Walesy saying that 8v did come with factory immobilisers. Mine has toad stickers in the windows and some sort of sensor box in the top right of the windscreen but the garage I bought it off had no fobs and told me the alarm was either disabled or not working. Would an aftermarket alarm install have changed the working of the factory immobiliser? I have a key with a button (don't think the button does anything) which works in the ignition and another standard key which does the door and boot (neither seem to do the passenger door). Is the button key coded for the ignition?

Basically, my problem seems to be when the engine is warm/hot with the symptoms being a weak turnover. I was already planning to get an alarm fitter to strip out the toad and install a brand new alarm but if any advice could be given as to the problem likely being something else? Ignition switch, temp sensor, relay? Need some advise on where to start first and of the likely problems, which are likely to get worse as I don't work in the nicest of areas and being stranded there doesn't fill me with glee!!

Cheers guys.

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my 8v, yes they have factory fitted immobilisers (if you split the key theres a chip in there) Mine had an aftermarket immobiliser fitted because my insurance company quote "didnt recognise factory fit imobilisers" :cuckoo: and the two off them did nothing but conflict with each other, I had the aftermarket one removed, also the guy picked up a fault on my ignition switch so I had a new one of those fitted (it cost me I think between 10 n 20 quid from vw) and had no problems since :D

In my opinion for what its gonna cost you to have your old alarm ripped out and a new ignition switch, its well worth a try, Helen

Cheers Helen, exactly what I was looking for as a starting point. Gonna phone a recommended local alarm man tomorra and also enquire about the ignition switch. Just got this from a garage 2 days ago and they never mentioned a problem, which in fairness if they hadn't started it from warm they genuinely might not have known but still, gonna ring them tomorra to let them know about the problem and arrange to take it in to them with a pointer towards the ignition switch. Thanks again :salute:

Was looking at gettin VAG Com as my old man has just got a MK4 Golf GT TDI... will this throw up any issues to do with starting? Also (slightly off topic sorry) do I get the HEX-USB+CAN cable... read on Ross Tech and I think it will work on both the Golf and the Rado but not 100% sure?? Cheers

look under where the gear stick is and you will see the connection there are two one is a d shape connector and the other is two 2 pin connectors

if you have the large d shape one that lead will work with both if n ot you will need 2 leads

Dnt think Vag-com will work on urs, im sure they only do the vr6 with the 16 pin connection, think it only read ABS codes on anything else, sorry if im wrong tho

Mine has the OBD2 16 pin connector being a 95 model but not sure what the software can diagnose?

From the VAG Com thread:

VAG-COM can only communicate with the VR6's Motronic ECU (not G60's Digifant or 16v/8v's) but all Corrados' ABS, Auto G.box and OE Immobiliser (if fitted).

So I'm guessing for my 8v Manual it'll only show any issues with the ABS and Immobiliser?

Yes, I had the vag com on mine when it was the aftermarket immobiliser / ignition switch problem and all it did was tell me my drivers side abs sensor wasn't working !!! very frustrating ! Try a new ignition switch first and go from there, H

Dnt think Vag-com will work on urs, im sure they only do the vr6 with the 16 pin connection, think it only read ABS codes on anything else, sorry if im wrong tho

woops should have mentioned that :oops: