Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

Late Door Sill Plastic Protector Removal

I've lifted one of my plastic sill protectors up slightly at one end and I noticed that there is some dirt and looks like some surface rust underneath. They seem to be stuck down with glue of some sort. How do I go about removing and refitting? I take it I just pull up carefully until the glue gives way? I wanna clean all the cack of and reseal them so water doesn't sit there. What kind of fixing glue to I use to reseal? And if there is surface rust, how do I go about removing it and protecting the metal?

Cheers guys

Hello mate,

I did exactly this with the car we've just broken and was amazed i actually got these off in one piece.

The secret to these is what you use to take them off with. I can not recommend a set of these enough.

http://www.tools-n-all.co.uk/Sykes-Pickavant-5Pc.-Body-Door-Plastic-Trim-Tool-Set.?CAWELAID=200314459

Didn't break one piece of trim using these on the whole car.

Method to removing i found easiest was to the take the widest tool and slide i down under the protector along the length of the plastic.

If you don't manage to remove them successfully I have a pair of very good condition items for £15 the pair.

Hope that helps.

Stu

Wicked mate they look just the job!!

What did you stick them back down with? Any ideas on what to put on to protect the paint underneath once I've removed the dirt and minor surface rust? Something like this: U-Pol Acid Etch? and stick the plastic sills back ontop?

good info Stu!!

i might have a look at the sills you have and buy them to this weekend, bet i end up braking mine when i try and take them off...

them tools look just the job, the wide one looks good for taking speaker grills out the dash to maybe (sorry for off topic chat...)

Back to topic, Stu is breaking and selling the car so hasnt had the need to stick them back on mate, i might look for some strong tape to use, seen some mentioned on here for the side mouldings. Think it was Kev who said about it