Sign in to follow this  
rado94

2.0l 16v idle problem

finally sorted my idle problem out! turned out to be a sticky accelerator cable. was sitting at the traffic lights and it done its usual and started to idle at 2k, then i had a brain wave! dont happen often. i put my foot under the accelerator and pulled it towards me,idle sat normally tried it a couple of times to confirm, changed the cable yesterday it now runs spot on, got the cable fom vw only £24. the previous owner had taken the car to a vw dealer 3 times to find the fault and they never sussed it, they changed breather hoses,cold start valve and isv and charged him a few hundred qid for the trumble! so as im very much a novice at mechanics im feeling quite pleased with meself.

finally sorted my idle problem out! turned out to be a sticky accelerator cable. was sitting at the traffic lights and it done its usual and started to idle at 2k, then i had a brain wave! dont happen often. i put my foot under the accelerator and pulled it towards me,idle sat normally tried it a couple of times to confirm, changed the cable yesterday it now runs spot on, got the cable fom vw only £24. the previous owner had taken the car to a vw dealer 3 times to find the fault and they never sussed it, they changed breather hoses,cold start valve and isv and charged him a few hundred qid for the trumble! so as im very much a novice at mechanics im feeling quite pleased with meself.

developed the same problem with mine lately and i did the same thing, pulling the pedel forward and it dropped the idle, just aint got around changing mine yet. £24 aint bad, any part numbers?

bob

mines a 94 2.0 16v the part no. for the cable is 536721555 its best to change the rubber bush on the pedal aswell part no. 191721559 not sure if its one size fits all tho as the guy asked a few questions about the car. cable was £23.78 bush was 64p dead easy job took bout 20 mins

mines a 94 2.0 16v the part no. for the cable is 536721555 its best to change the rubber bush on the pedal aswell part no. 191721559 not sure if its one size fits all tho as the guy asked a few questions about the car. cable was £23.78 bush was 64p dead easy job took bout 20 mins

cheers bud