Sign in to follow this  
MattWilde

G60 Baffled Sump

Does anyone know if there are any other companies that make a baffled sump for a G60, or is it just Schrick?

If the Schrick is the best one for the money then I'll go for that but I like to compare a few products first :D

Mostly its just shrick.

Some companies offer a standard sump with some baffle plates welded in but if never looks quite right.

Yeah - Schrick is a nice bit of kit - cooling fins too....

There is an Audi engine with a sump that fits but the cooling fins are then sideways to the airflow.

it's like a normal sump, but a bit more confused... :norty: :nuts:

Sorry, couldn't resist... :roll:

it's like a normal sump, only it has some raised areas in the bottom of it to stop the oil "sloshing" around side to side under heavy cornering which cause oil starvation with a normal sump...

The shrick one is a little better again as it's slightly bigger capacity than a normal sump allowing you to use more engine oil in the engine... it's also made of alloy and finned on the outside which adds a small amount of air cooling to the sump keeping your oil a little cooler...

I've attached a photo which I've shamelessly ripped off the G-Werks site so you can see the raised "barriers" within the sump... :norty:

Ah cool, sorry for the hijack but at what point do you have to start worrying about oil coolers, baffled sumps etc...

Are you planning on animal track days or what?

MattWilde, just so your thread isn't completely hijack'd... The only company I know of that produces a baffled sump for VW engines is Schrick... as mentioned above, there are a few people offering standard sumps with metal plates welded in, but I couldn't comment on the quality of them...

turlock, when you've lobbed lots of time and effort and cash into your engine and intend on thrashing the living hell out of it, especially on corners, that's when you need to think seriously about baffled sumps... uprating the oil cooler should, IMHO, be done as soon as you start to modify an engine... 8) .... and yes, I did plan on attending (and did attend!) some track days with mine where I think that I would end up with oil starvation if I didn't have a baffled sump on mine... ;)

To echo henny, alot of work has gone into this engine to be used as a weekend/track day car so the baffled sump is most necessary!

After a lot of searching last night the only other one (which looks like it will fit) I have found is this http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=11397

It adds no depth to the pan whilst still adding capacity (I have no idea how true what I'm typing is just relaying from the web site) and the trap door style baffles seem to be a good design. Will be e-mailing some of the suppliers in the states to find out costs as my next step