Sign in to follow this  
nmahi

can someone do a how to wiring a upgrade loom wih pics?

can any do a headlight loom upgrade "how to fit guide" with photos for me? Im ok doing it, just not with the supplied diagram and text.....its confusing :confused4: electrics ain't my thing....

i got a early 16v rad....

cheers bob

no guide with pics but it's pretty simple really.

4 connections on a relay:

1 (pin 30)the relay needs power straight from the battery, via a fuse for safety.

2 (pin 86)it also needs a switching feed (one of your existing headlight live connections, removed from back of headlights or cut into wire before headlight)

3 (pin 85)it then needs an earth (back to battery or suitable chassis earth point)

4 (pin 87)then lastly the output from the relay to the headlight live on the back of the headlight unit

if a single relay is used and only for say dip beam, then you need to split the output of the relay (87) to the backs of both headlight units

if both dip and main beam are to be 'relayed up' then you need two relays, one for dip circuit, one for main.

if you want the additional safety of left/right separate circuits then you need four relays, that way you'd only ever lose one light if a relay stuck or a fuse popped. Doing this you'll also need to use the existing feeds from both headlights as switching feeds.

the corrado splits the main beam +ve to the twin filament main/dip bulb and the centre spot lights inside the light unit itself, so no need to worry about that.

If you have a loom kit with VW connector blocks already attached then it should be plug and play apart from the +ve feed from the battery and possibly earth back to it. If you just have a bunch of wires, then you need to cut into the existing feeds to the lights and connect up with male/female spade connectors, preferably covered in waterproof sheaths.

no guide with pics but it's pretty simple really.

4 connections on a relay:

1 (pin 30)the relay needs power straight from the battery, via a fuse for safety.

2 (pin 86)it also needs a switching feed (one of your existing headlight live connections, removed from back of headlights or cut into wire before headlight)

3 (pin 85)it then needs an earth (back to battery or suitable chassis earth point)

4 (pin 87)then lastly the output from the relay to the headlight live on the back of the headlight unit

if a single relay is used and only for say dip beam, then you need to split the output of the relay (87) to the backs of both headlight units

if both dip and main beam are to be 'relayed up' then you need two relays, one for dip circuit, one for main.

if you want the additional safety of left/right separate circuits then you need four relays, that way you'd only ever lose one light if a relay stuck or a fuse popped. Doing this you'll also need to use the existing feeds from both headlights as switching feeds.

the corrado splits the main beam +ve to the twin filament main/dip bulb and the centre spot lights inside the light unit itself, so no need to worry about that.

If you have a loom kit with VW connector blocks already attached then it should be plug and play apart from the +ve feed from the battery and possibly earth back to it. If you just have a bunch of wires, then you need to cut into the existing feeds to the lights and connect up with male/female spade connectors, preferably covered in waterproof sheaths.

thanks.......i think :confused4:

i got a 2 relay one. i know where the battery ones go, (live + earth), ive then got a wires saying:

"Switch black/white" - does that mean there's wires that colour i need to cut into?

"Switch black/yellow"

headlight main beam - wire colour?

headlight dip beam - wire colour?

bob