Sign in to follow this  
mimjed

the g60 ball ache!!!

thought id share where i've got to so far....thanks to those who answer my seemingly stupid questions!! :D

started life as a 1.8 16v rental car, died with 180k on the clock. had a recent respray, bonnet is shite though. what do you do...buy cheap and dump a pg lump in of course :D .

the beginning. and weight loss - abs, air con, electric windows all fooked off.

corrado.jpg

c3.jpg

bit of engine completion, standard intercooler in. boost pipes fitted. t piece fitted to maintain manifold pressure. fuel leak fixed. repair spoiler mechanism. g60 clocks working!new headlight. wolfsburg door pins. bonnet pull snapped, new one fitted. found an airbox, k&n panel filter in.

c4.jpg

enough to move it, lack of t and t so couldnt go nuts, hard to video clocks on your tod too!seemed to be running ok.

[youtube:3fmmwe6r]mW12y5-V4cU[/youtube:3fmmwe6r]

oil cooler put in.

corrado3.jpg

forge intercooler bought, all new alloy/silicone boost pipes. oil cooler out :mad2: new rear top mounts fitted. slimline radiator fan fitted. fitted gas bonnet strut.

corrado4.jpg

corrado5.jpg

corrado7.jpg

corrado8.jpg

corrado9.jpg

some nice new wheels!! (excuse the bird turd) love them at the mo. road legal slicks too, nice :norty: some turd nicked the valve caps already though!

13092009124.jpg

13092009123.jpg

bought stainless four branch, decat and scorpion system, think its going to be loud though (not good), two silencers will be removed. everything removed just need manifold studs/nuts from vw. found inlet manifold looks to be cracked (need to investigate) drive shaft nearly fell out too....bugger. ended up chopping downpipe as i couldn't wriggle it out.

01102009130.jpg

to do...fit manifold/decat/exhaust. new bonnet and eyebrow on sunday (eyebrow needs spraying). front top mounts to fit??? (22mm nut) found the solution 13/16" spark plug socket egay £4. timing to sort out. dx bolt/washer to fit.

cambelt/oil/oil filter/g12/distributor/rotor arm/dizzy cap/ht leads/spark plugs/gearbox oil to fit/change.

general wiring and loom tidy up. charger service and paint, paint rocker cover too.

need to buy new starter motor and coil. need to reline headliner as its dropped, any ideas for fabric?? (black). looking for [strike:3fmmwe6r]meta m100 keyfob[/strike:3fmmwe6r]. [strike:3fmmwe6r]parcel shelf black[/strike:3fmmwe6r]. [strike:3fmmwe6r]and dash piece to cover fuse box[/strike:3fmmwe6r].

after that think i will be happy with it :? hopefully you like where im going with it. vw reciepts are growing.

well ive bin down with chuffin swine flu since sat night. yeah it sucks for anyone thats not had it.

planning trip to stealers to change studs and treat myself to a few goodies too.

dont think im gunna get on the car until next week though as i still feel like ass.

ah yeah, does anyone know locations of engine code, other than cam cover (long gone)??? im certain its early but vw seem to think its late.

yep its an early bonnet, pick up new one on friday - early again but lacquer isnt bubbled up everywhere.

early/late i was referring to the engine, tried to order gasket for inlet manifold and got the usual blank stare when i told them the number plate refers to a different engine.

had a look over the diagrams at the stealers and im convinced its early but the chap tells me its late....bit of a stale mate so told him ill pull it to pieces and take the manifold with me.

chassis number no good dude, converted to a g60. chassis will bring up a 1.8 16v

good work, looks like an early bonnet to me too
thank you.....keep it looking standard me thinks

Nice work - great to hear that another Corrado was saved and is living a whole new life with a new identity :)

Posts like this make it all too clear I'm a beginner, where have you picked up your know how?

Think I may have a coolant problem too but I don't know my header from my rad. :) (not literally...)

PS the car looks great, esp considering where you saved it from

Im no expert and plenty of people know alot more than i do. Err me and school didnt get along to well, got mostly c's so not too bad i guess. After i did college, electrical installation then mechanical engineering.

My best mates a sparky and loves to muck around with engines too, so like most people start with a small amount of knowledge and dive in. Doesnt matter if posts seem silly, better to ask than another vw get broken.

Cooling in what sense? I assume your going with water temp/leak. When was coolant last changed? Pop the bonnet and have a look around the pipework, mainly joints is where your looking. Crusty and white (normally) buildup means your leaking.

Maybe a simple flush out would do the trick? Cant really guess at it im afraid, have to do some investigating your end and see where it gets you.

Cheers jim

any clues on polo g40 oil filters???

rumour has it they run ok on g60's but give you more room for oil cooler sandwich plate, which is what i need.

but they look really small on diagrams and only seem to be one type for 1975-about 2001 i think. not sure of engine code for g40, can anyone enlighten me?

want to get ordered because im getting trade price on this order :D

well stealer trip done,

3 x g12 polo oil filter corrado oil filter gearbox oil manifold studs/nuts/washers = £40

doesnt feel like they raped me today :D

any clues on polo g40 oil filters???

rumour has it they run ok on g60's but give you more room for oil cooler sandwich plate, which is what i need.

but they look really small on diagrams and only seem to be one type for 1975-about 2001 i think. not sure of engine code for g40, can anyone enlighten me?

want to get ordered because im getting trade price on this order :D

I've not heard about G40 ones working- I had been told that Mk2 GTI ones are identical apart from the nut on the bottom, making them fit better with an oil cooler.

But to be honest I wouldn't put anything different from standard as it could goose the G-lader. Some people just hacksaw the nut off the standard one!

What you say about 8v is very true.

Im still not sure about putting it on yet, its about 60% of corrado size. But for how many miles it will do inbetween services i dont think it will cause any harm.

well been looking over My red corrado 1.8 16v in cars for sale.

cant decide if i fancy smoked tail lights, and would need side repeators aswell really. like the look but want my corrado to look like nothing so cant get me head round it.

suggestions please :help:

like all reds too but smoked make plate sorround look less out of place i think, anyway.

Cheers for the coolant advice jim, its at the garage getting MOT'd so they are having a peek, it could be a small leak above the oil cooler but they will let me know.

The smoked lights on dgarwood's car do make the rear look pretty damn good, in line with the plate surround like you said. I've never really been a fan of smoked lights tho when they mean your indicators/brakes etc dont light up properly for other drivers.

You could go for clear side repeaters with iridium bulbs which look all silver, or even clear LED jobbies that are silver effect too, but the silver might be too stand out on your red paintwork.

well feel better from the swine flu crap now, so tomorrow im sparing a few hours to get the manifold on - driveshaft to come off though = bad times.

ah provided i can find some manifold sealer before hand that is.

managed to get some more bits and pieces over the last week though so im half happy.

still cant decide on lights though and im looking for a bonnet (again :p ).

hole in inlet manifold,

hole.jpg

seems ok though so crack on with it! nice casting defect too.....bloody volkswagen's a!!! :lol:

hi mate rado is looking good like what your doing to it

bar-tek do a short oill filter 4 the g60 oil cool kit so should be ok

want to fit a oil cooler to my G60 but loose the oem oil 2 water cooler

jabbar sport do kit like that

the mk2 golf gti filter is the same - the nut

thank you, not doing a great deal to it at the mo. sort of lost the love for it. depressing to open the bonnet and see nothing is where its supposed to be.

mostly just pulling it to pieces and making sure everything is as it was intended to be. new gaskets, seals etc. get bits sorted for mot......soon i really hope. then crack on with a full service.

not going on the road till next year, which is good because the weather seems to suck whenever i have a day off.

oh i didnt buy genuine oil filters for the 8v, i got mann ones, my mate worked at a spare part place so he would sell them to me for about 50p each. (no nut)

well got round to sorting out putting it back together, stainless four branch/decat/2 1/4" system all on. most gaskets now replaced. front brake upgrade is next then its mot time :clap:

after having problems with a snapped manifold stud that is, ended up having to weld a nut on it but with being so close to fuel rail etc i went with wet tshirt over that and wet rags shoved in inlet and outlets, nervous isnt the word :shock:

well i seem to be crap at updating this so its time to have a quick go.

been on the verge of giving up recently, kept finding more and more bits i wasnt happy with, but i have stuck at it and mot is booked in for weds 7th april. bricking it after sonicrott's mot adventure.

where do we start then. i am running 288mm carriers/calipers/pads on 280mm 4 stud g60 discs. this works fine and dandy and improves stopping over the g60 setup. there is an overhang on the pad but nothing serious. i think it will want grinding down after 6000 miles ish.

i thought that my head gasket was on the way out due to smoking exhaust. lots of investigating and blocking off heater matrix etc eventually led me to the actual design of the back box being at fault. it lets water run down the tail pipe and sit in it.

paint/lacquer on the bonnet is now terrible and really getting on my tits. not sure where to go with it yet.

speedo stopped working, but it was the connector on the gear box that was at fault (cheers shaun for the replacement one).

the sill both inner and outer was pretty rough on the nearside, so had a bit of welding done.

replaced a few crispy/nackered bits for the mot

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf24032010211.jpg[/attachment:aov5wtd8]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf24032010212.jpg[/attachment:aov5wtd8]

18032010207.jpg[/attachment:aov5wtd8]

still doesnt idle right after replacing many parts, but is vastly improved with replacement isv. still need to figure out whats causing this.

and laser 4 wheel alignment to follow as a treat if the old girl passes the mot.