oldskoolkool

carbs, now down on power =-(

hi all just woundered has anyone on here fitted carbs to a 16v by any chance ??? what so of difference did you see if any ive got a set comming just thought id have an ask about to see/hear peoples thoughts ???

so any thoughts you have are welcome thanks :D

liam

I've never quite understood the carb thing, unless you want a clean engine bay for showing a car or are doing a transplant and it makes the install simpler.

Don't get me wrong, I've been in a few VW's with well set up carbs and they can feel quite nice to drive, but even compared to K-jet, they're going to be hard to get set up right, may cause problems running in damp/cold weather, will use more fuel and develop less power. :shrug:

had twin 40's on a 2ltr 16v in a mk 1 and it was awesome really nice to drive and if you set it up properly mpg wont be much different (unless you have a heavy right foot) its all about the noise :D , the only problem i had was carb icing in the winter but as long as you let it warm up and dont wot for to long it will be ok

Ahhh, the myth of carb settings...

If they are in good order, they should only need setting up once! Unless someone is turning screws when they shouldn't be. Obviously with age/wear and tear they will want a tweaking, but that's after thousands of miles of use.

My old mk1 valver made 174 brake at the flywheel, and returned 200 miles to twenty quids worth of fuel (around 8 years ago)

It was set up on the rolling road just the once, and it ran perfectly until the day the engine was removed.

Neil.

im doing carbs on mine as for giving less power as said by one all the carb cars ive seen have been running 150-176bhp which is defo a improvement on the 134bhp the car gives out normally. the best way of getting them setup is by a old boy in a garage there can do this well as there used to them :norty: and as for the fuel cost if we wanted a car that was good on this wouldnt we just by prius lol

whatever,

these mysterious high power carb valvers never seem to be running right whenever there's a rolling road day though :lol:

Carbs do the same job as fuel injection and should produce the same power if you use suitable carbs and spend a lot of time experimenting with different needles and jets to suit the engine. I'd bear in mind that if your carbs are too big for top end power it'll idle like a bag of bolts. Anyone remember the Chrysler Sunbeam ti?

:(

Wow well I knew there was going to be some contravercy. It's amazing the different experiences that people have had, as for not producing an improvement in power surely that's not right ?

I have a quick question for you all do I leave my ecu for the spark side of the system or do I remove it completely?

Cheers

2L 16v system (KE-jet)?

that expects to run with the lambda, knock sensors, fuel metering head sensors etc, can't see you could run it for ignition alone.

The 1.8 (K-jet) system is ignition only anyway, it can't be re-mapped (unless you have a plug on K-star or V-sam to alter the advance curve) so that might be an issue optimising ignition for running with carbs.

The standard K-jet system is good for 200bhp, so I doubt that's ever going to be a limiting factor on a 1.8 valver.

I you really wanna go old school, find an old Seat Ibiza 1500 (circa 1991) and get the dizzy off that... it's a bolt on replacement for the valver one, but is vacuum advanced and can be re-weighted to get the advance curve right for the 16V engine...

That's what I ran on my MKI 16V and that made over 150bhp from a standard KR engine with just that dizzy and a Weber Red-line Firebreather throttle body, using the standard K-jet system... 8)

Well you see I'm the guy that has a 1.8 running on a motronic system so I got no idle and fuel economy of mustang so that's why I'm going down the route of carbs! Just thought I'd let you know lol.

See that what I was thinking of, a way to go proper old skool and get rid of my ecu that is causing all the problems that I'm have which are alot!

I need a method which dosent involve kjet as I havnt got it lol! I missed out on a kstar or £70 I was well annoyed! Any other methods other than the seat idea just so I have a back up!?

Liam

If you've got a distributor drive then I reckon Lumenition have loads of bits for optical and infra-red spark distribution, definately worth look.

Works on the MG and that is ECU free.

I you really wanna go old school, find an old Seat Ibiza 1500 (circa 1991) and get the dizzy off that... it's a bolt on replacement for the valver one, but is vacuum advanced and can be re-weighted to get the advance curve right for the 16V engine...

That's what I ran on my MKI 16V and that made over 150bhp from a standard KR engine with just that dizzy and a Weber Red-line Firebreather throttle body, using the standard K-jet system... 8)

hey that is a top tip :D

how do you, or who is capable of rewieghting a dizzy's to suit a different profile?

mine was done by an old school Motor engineer... did it as a favour... no idea who would have the skill or experience to do that anymore... :?

shame :( as really trying to keep my valver build 'in its era' using little tricks like that

will ask about round here

(sorry for being off topic btw)

right well i got my carbs tnight and im a little dissapointed to say the least and i had a look and one of the venturies is 36 mm and the rest are 37 mm so now ive got to try and source a 37mm venturi for a dellorto carb and also the carbs arnt matched either but that not a bigger worry! and ive figuered ive got a mbe spark ingiter ecu i might get a kjet loom and fit that so i have an ecu and a spark??? what do you recon to that??

liam

don't know anything about carbs mate, i think a bigger problem is keeping the engine at right emissions to suit your year of registration which is a 2ltr isn't it?

im putting mine on a kr i have diagram somewhere to get rid off the ecu and loom ill try and find it out. shame to hear your not happy with the ones you bought was it a ebay purchase? if so claim some money back. i havent decided on which ones im going for as yet ive been getting everything else ready first got the inlet manifold ported and fuel pump and regulators are sorted just need the carbs lol cant decide between 40s and 45s :(

I've no experience of carbs............ yet!!!

100_0663.jpg

I will transplant this during the winter months, as is the way perhpas I'll learn something useful along the way, I'm happy to pass on my findings.

I have no clue about set up as all the work was done by the guy I bought the engine from, fingers crossed the engine will drop straight in.

Good work guys I fitted mine tday just Gota try and find a method to make the throttle work havnt figured it out yet! I'll get a couple of pics up, I've been whiting the Internet trying to find out information but it hasn't really paid off! So how many other people we got on the forum with either carbs or itb's let us know guys show us your carbs lol haha!!!

guys i need to ask a question , am i going to have to change my fuel pump to a facit pump or can i just put a regulator on my current 16v pump ??????/

many thanks liam

Think adding a fuekl regulator will do, I reckon that's what is fitted to mine, someone else here could know for sure.

If not I'll get mine checked tommorrow for you.

you need 3psi too run carbs i think the fuel pump will run that ok but as suggested a regulaqtor is very helpful.

when i bought ny manifold it came with a facet fuel pump and regulator but really dont think ill need the pump :D as it was for a mk1

16v fuel pumps deliver about 70psi :) you'll definitely need a regulator