Sign in to follow this  
Rinse

G60death???

Alright, Got my G60 back up the road the other day, was running fine when I viewed it but its developed a knock since I got it up the road! :ignore:

Was planning getting the charger off to G-werks for a service once I got paid this month for peace of mind since it was Jabba that did it before and haven't heard good things about them!

I'm worried that it might be knackered though, and was wanting to get some feedback from you guys before sending it off to find out its knackered!

By chance I still had my old camera to hand so I've made a short video of the sound, I'm hoping someone can tell me its not about to grenade and its something as simple as the charger being out of sync!!

http://vimeo.com/7066238

Sounds like could be crank bolt, which means engine timing is out, which means bad times!

If your engine inclined theres a sticky on timing set up in engine bay....if not get someone else to have a look but avoid driving till its diagnosed.

bit off topic but what have you heard about jabba?

from my dealings they know what they are doing, and workmanship is good, but some of the comms i received about my charger were unbelievable. left me a bit nervous about my charger health if im honest.

mechanics stethoscope should pin point the noise.

Or the high tech version? :clap:

screwdriver-1.jpg

EDIT:

After having a good nosey about the forum the past couple nights (Nightshift :pukeright:) decided before I stress out about the charger to check that its not the waterpump, timing or crank bolt. Is there any way I can check the timing without taking everything off? I helped my mate do the timing belt on my valver and it was a nightmare and don't want to get stung putting it into a garage to find out the timing was fine!

Also how can I check the water pump? Sorry for sounding like an absolute noob but I'm no mechanic and I'm just learning as I go along!

its a long shot but to rule out the charger you could always remove it and fit a shorter drive belt.if the noise is gone it will be the charger if not you will have to start looking elsewhere.cant remember how short the belt needs to be though

its a long shot but to rule out the charger you could always remove it and fit a shorter drive belt.if the noise is gone it will be the charger if not you will have to start looking elsewhere.cant remember how short the belt needs to be though

Just thinking, If it were the charger, I should be able to take it out and give it a spin and feel/listen for any noises?

Just thinking, If it were the charger, I should be able to take it out and give it a spin and feel/listen for any noises?

Just take the belt off the charger and turn the charger pulley by hand... if you can feel any lumpyness, then get it off and sent down to G-Werks for a checkup...

While the belt's off the charger, you should also be able to spin the water pump and alternator by hand to see if they're lumpy too.... ;)

Ah ace, will be a lot easier to diagnose then! Will give that a shot!

Was just battling with my o/s headlights middle screw. Its turned to a pile of rust :lol:

Ah ace, will be a lot easier to diagnose then! Will give that a shot!

Was just battling with my o/s headlights middle screw. Its turned to a pile of rust :lol:

They do that... I have a special long drill bit now that's long enough to drill through the hole in the slam panel and take the head off the screw... :roll: :lol:

Yep, its the supercharger. Kinda devastated the first thing I fix on my G60 is get the charger sent off for a rebuild! Ah well, will give G-werks a phone once she's out.

Right, what's the secret to getting the charger out. You lot are definately hiding something! :lol:

Its popped out of place and can turn it slighly, the part of the charger the two 6mm bolts came from are now closer to the engine block but the standard pulley isn't coming out for noone! Tempted to just bend the pulley to hell to get it out and replace it with a 68mm one!

Right, got the charger rebuilt.

Got it all back on the car today, primed the charger then tried starting it, ticked over with a very loud backfire then it just started idling very very rough, throttle was doing barely anything and it was backfiring like mad!!

Only thing i can think of that i've changed is I might have mixed up one or two ignition leads on the dizzy, I've just pulled up a photo of a g60 and put them all onto the same ones, tried starting it and it won't even tick over.

Please help, i've got to drive to Aberdeen tonight!

Got it all back on the car today, primed the charger then tried starting it, ticked over with a very loud backfire then it just started idling very very rough, throttle was doing barely anything and it was backfiring like mad!!

Only thing i can think of that i've changed is I might have mixed up one or two ignition leads on the dizzy, I've just pulled up a photo of a g60 and put them all onto the same ones, tried starting it and it won't even tick over.

Bottom crank bolt ok?

Just remembered I had the ISV off one night with the intention to clean it out, but realised i would have needed to re-lube it and had nothing to lube it with so I just left it and put it back on.

Theres a boost return delete kit fitted to it too, But that was fitted just before the charger came off and was running fine.

Bottom crank bolt ok?

Just checked. Its still there, and theres no play in the pulley.

When I was revving it I could hear the supercharger spinning fine too.

I don't know if it was the charger or not yet. When it was opened though there was no damage and G-werks said it was fine. But when putting it back together i realised its missing the 13mm bolt on the right hand side of it, so it could have been something as simple as the plate knocking against the charger knowing my luck!

Was gonna get it rebuilt this month anyway.

Sound like your firing order is out.

it's 1-3-4-2.The dizzy rotor turns clockwise.

#1 is at 13:00 on the dizzy I think.

Thats what I put them at, but i've just realised that the dizzy isn't in the same position as the photo I used to place em.

This is the photo I took the order from.

IntercoolerPipeInstall013.jpg

This is how mine is now.

CID6312.jpg

Sound like your firing order is out.

it's 1-3-4-2.The dizzy rotor turns clockwise.

#1 is at 13:00 on the dizzy I think.

Thats what I put them at, but i've just realised that the dizzy isn't in the same position as the photo I used to place em.

This is the photo I took the order from.

IntercoolerPipeInstall013.jpg

This is how mine is now.

CID6312.jpg

there should be a little line on lip of the dizzy under the cap this should be No.1 work clockwise from there

yeah I just took it apart and seen the notch. Put em all back in and we're in business! :clap:

All sorted, knockings gone too! Need to change the ECU vaccum hose though, its seen better days!

Cheers to everyone for thier help!!

yeah I just took it apart and seen the notch. Put em all back in and we're in business! :clap:

All sorted, knockings gone too! Need to change the ECU vaccum hose though, its seen better days!

Cheers to everyone for thier help!!

8) no probs just remember the hose has to be exactly 1m long and 3.5mm id