Sign in to follow this  
Diamond Hell

Captive nut in subframe FAIL

Argh, I've just snapped off the bolt on the front control arm mount on the passenger side on the Corrado I picked up last Saturday. :mad2:

ETKA says the front subframe is shared with the 90-92 Golf. Does anyone know what the difference is with regards to the later Golf3 subframe vs the Corrado? Having given the last rights to various Seats and the odd Golf3, the subframes all look pretty damned similar. It looks identical to the one I took off the Toledo 16V I had the ABF out of. I understand there's a G3 somewhere near, which may have a good subframe on it, year unknown. Anyone know the likelihood of it fitting?

I know often on VAG parts the differences can be tiny and insignificant, or tiny and significant. If anyone can give me some pointers on the in/significance on this subframe that would be great.

The only Golf it's shared with is the G60 as this has the extra mounting points. You need to get a Corrado one really...

Other option is to cut and open out the subframe then use heat to free the remains of the bolt then weld back up - bit of a bodge but works fine if sone properly....

If the subframe has a lot of rust though I would change it - seems to be a common issue with Corrado's now they have got to this age.

seems to be a common issue with Corrado's now they have got to this age.

Not if you have a good quality oil leak! Keeps the rust at bay! :lol:

seems to be a common issue with Corrado's now they have got to this age.

Not if you have a good quality oil leak! Keeps the rust at bay! :lol:

:lol:

if the bolt is snapped off but the captive nut is still welded in place you should be able to drill the bolt out, I had to do this last weekend on a rear bumper mounting bolt, PITA, but done carefully you can avoid any damage.

Has anyone tried fitting up a Golf3 unit? It all looks eerily similar to a G3 16V subframe down there.

The only Golf it's shared with is the G60 as this has the extra mounting points. You need to get a Corrado one really...

Can I get some clarification on the 'extra mounting points' please? Would these be the bolt-up points at the very rear of the sub-frame? I know the Toledo subframe has these. The rear engine mount looks to be the same, too which would pitch it into Golf3 16V territory.

All suggestions gratefully received.

The mk3 subframe does fit is uses wide track wishbones so you need to keep the corrado one the rear mounts are too fare back to bolt up after the arb so they need trimming down and redrilling, a mk3 tdi one fits as that what i've just fitted to mine.

could you not have something welded to the remains of the bolt..see if will come out

No. It's in the captive nut, which is recessed and I can't even get the control arm out. Oh and it's a 10.9, which means it's going to be somewhat brittle.

I'll hang on to the subframe and maybe later I'll see if I can get the remains of the bolt out, but it's going to be a challenge and a half.

The Golf3 subframe did bolt right up, although the trailing mount holes had to be re-cut, to suit. I also had to fit the ABF rear mount and the bracket on the back of the block, but it all fits up really well and I'm happy with the end result.

Now I need to replace the front mount, as I couldn't get that one off - the top bolt was seized solid. Many of the other bolts were seriously seized/over-tight, but it was a good end-result from this first session.

Here are the subframes bolted together back to back:

DSC00001b.jpg

Photo of the two different O/S mounts (ish):

DSC00002b.jpg

Photo showing what I cut off the subframe:

DSC00004b.jpg

Car-on-ramp type shot:

DSC00005b.jpg