Sign in to follow this  
fla

noise from driver seat - springs?

Another one of those irritations - there is a regular 'ping' from my driver seat every so often. The problem is its IMPOSSIBLE to replicate - i've tried pressing the seat everywhere but it just wont do it, only when you're driving. Has anyone else had ths and if so, how did you solve it?

I have never had this problem, but im currently stripping some corrado seat frames to fit them to some recaros.

There are 5 springs in total.

1 for the forward adjustment, only a small one so wouldnt think it could make much noise.

2 on the tilt handle mechanisum, again these are small ones.

2 which help the seat recline up and down.

The only two i think could make any anoying noise are the two large ones which actually help the seat tilt up and down, but these are always in tension, even when the seat is in the fully tilted up position. The only way you could test these to see if they are loose is to fully recline the seat and see if the noise comes back.

I may be wrong it could be the smaller springs, but then it might not be the springs at all.

Everything on the frame is welded apart from the runner sections which slide up and down.

Im going on a bit now, but i have a frame sat here in front of me and im trying to figure out where it could be.

Have you had the seats out to see if anything is loose.

if this dosent sort it, i will have another look, and can shove some pic on here if needed.

Fla - have you checked to see if it might be a 'weld' thats coming adrift - I know that such a situation can sound like a 'ping'. Just a thought.

Dubguy - I'd be very interested to hear about how you get on with fitting Recaros to a C seat sub-frame. I recently bought a pair of Recaros, from a Mitsubishi Evo 2, and am therefore wanting to do the very same thing that you describe. Any tips, warnings, pics etc would be much appreciated.

i was thinking it was the foam tensioner wires perhaps. I'll tilt the seat back and try that, failig which it'll have to be stripped down again, which i dont really fancy doing. :(

Actually dubguy, you couldnt check some of the seatback wires for me could you, perhaps some pics of them? It 'sounds' as though its coming from the outside (nearer the door) slightly lower down, but its difficult to tell - its literally a short "ping" and doenst give you enough time to think where its come from :?

I will have a look for ya. I will try and get some pics up of the seat backs.

Thing is i have stripped the rado seats now, but can show you how to get them apart with some golf seats i have, they are all put together the same.

Are you thinking it could be the springs in the back rest down at the bottom.

I will have a look this evening and try to get some pics up tonight.

Fla, still looking at the Recaros, trying to figure out where to cut the frames, i have split the original corrado seat frames so getting there slowly.